Sign in to follow this  
mag1

Leupold QR mount screw broke off flush with receiver. Need Help

Tried to put a set of Leupold QR 2 piece mounts on my Remington 700..

Well one of the torx screws snapped.

The front mount was loose after tightening. So I tightened a little more, and it snapped.

Inow realize that the screw was hitting the bolt action. Guess the torx screw was too long.

The screw snapped off flush with the receiver, so now I need to get this screw out. The bolt wont action now either cuz of the screw is holding it in place. I learned something today...

Anyway, where can I bring it to get the screw out and have the mounts put on?

I am in Barnegat, NJ.

I just got off the phone with Leupold tech. He said the screws in the front are shorter, SOB! This happens all the time.

Next time I better double check to make sure all the screws are the same length. I checked my other set i ordered, and yep, 2 screws are long, 2 are a little shorter, god damn it!

They are sending me out 4 new torx screws, but I still have to find a gunsmith in my area to get it out and maybe retap it.

Will try Tips.

Depending on the diameter of the screw, you could drill a smaller hole in the shaft of the screw and use an easy out to remove it.

unbend a paper clip and see if it is actually below the level of the receiver, flush, or slightly above. If slightly above it will be easier to remove

Depending on the diameter of the screw, you could drill a smaller hole in the shaft of the screw and use an easy out to remove it.

unbend a paper clip and see if it is actually below the level of the receiver, flush, or slightly above. If slightly above it will be easier to remove

If it definitely flush to slight underflush.

I am not messing with drilling it, LOL. I do not want to mess anything else up. First time and the last.

Still cant believe I didnt notice the different size screws!

I am bringing it to Tips Hardware tonite, they said it will be done in 2 days. Wonder how much this stupid mistake is gonna cost?