Duppie

My S&W Model 28-2.

After a long wait for P2P's, missed appointments,back ordered grips,vacations....she finally home. My new {to me} Smith and Wesson model 28-2 with a 5 inch barrel {correction, 4 inch barrel}. She came with the presentation case,and 2 grips and I ordered the rosewood grips from Thailand.All I need now is a replacement bore brush and some time to take her to the range.

Very nice. I think that you will find that what you have is a 4" gun. The only 5" 28's were a small run of 25 nickel guns for the FL Highway Patrol and they were stamped FHP. The presentation case is a nice touch and would have been from a model 27, 29 or 57 from the mid to late 70's. It appears that you also got a Target hammer and trigger (or combat trigger). Very nice pick-up and one that you and your heirs will be shooting for several lifetimes.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Very nice collection there

Obviously not as impressive as yours but it's a start. I traded the P250 for the S&W and I couldn't be happier.

Really, really nice!!!

Are those the hogue grips on your 605?

No, both the Taurus and S&W's grips was ordered on Ebay from a vendor in Thailand. excellent quality,fit and price. I highly recommend.

Very nice. I think that you will find that what you have is a 4" gun. The only 5" 28's were a small run of 25 nickel guns for the FL Highway Patrol and they were stamped FHP. The presentation case is a nice touch and would have been from a model 27, 29 or 57 from the mid to late 70's. It appears that you also got a Target hammer and trigger (or combat trigger). Very nice pick-up and one that you and your heirs will be shooting for several lifetimes.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I bow to the master once again..... it is indeed a 4 inch barrel.My first Smith and hopefully not my last, apparently not fired much, I followed your hints as to the things to watch out for and everything is tight with no movement or drift.She has a faint turn line and the previous owner painted the front sight but other than that it's seems to be in excellent condition.

I also have a copy of the original receipt from 1979. The gun cost $354.50 and the case was an additional $15.00

I bought a used 4" model 28 in 1973 for $125. I bought a 6" model 24 barrel (.44 Spl) and sent them off to a gunsmith named George Matthews (who still comes up with a Google search) in Downey, CA and had him do the conversion to .44 special. He also changed the front patridge sight (on the 24 barrel) to a Baughman ramp with a gold insert (should have left it a patridge). Here's what it looks like today...

nzrbi9.jpg

Enjoy yours - there is nothing quite like an N-frame Smith.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Duppie, you have a fine taste in firearms! CZ and now a S&W M28...some of the finest handguns ever made (at least IMO!). Love the grips on the n-frame. How do you like the finger grooves? I have a set of original Goncalo Alves wood target grips that came on my M28 (6") and am thinking of getting something new on there and saving the originals so they don't get banged up at the range. Trying to decide on whether to go with finger grooves or straight target stock grips.

Duppie, you have a fine taste in firearms! CZ and now a S&W M28...some of the finest handguns ever made (at least IMO!). Love the grips on the n-frame. How do you like the finger grooves? I have a set of original Goncalo Alves wood target grips that came on my M28 (6") and am thinking of getting something new on there and saving the originals so they don't get banged up at the range. Trying to decide on whether to go with finger grooves or straight target stock grips.

I have rather small hands so the target and presentation grips that came with the gun was not the right fit for me, too much adjustments to make in order to right my grip. The finger grooves fit like a glove and while I have yet to fire her I think I'll be fine. I also want to keep the stock grips from getting beat up so the Thai grips at $41.00 shipped is a ideal alternative.

Bob is right. Nothing like N frames. The model 28-2 and 25-2 are my two favorite handguns. The Colt Series 70 1911 and Model 27-2 are just behind them. I actually prefer the smaller magna grips for quick shooting. I have them on my 28-2. The fat target grips are good for slow precision shooting.

I have had these for a while now. Pistols seem to come and go. Revolvers stay in the fold. :)

SW002.jpg

Bob is right. Nothing like N frames. The model 28-2 and 25-2 are my two favorite handguns. The Colt Series 70 1911 and Model 27-2 are just behind them. I actually prefer the smaller magna grips for quick shooting. I have them on my 28-2. The fat target grips are good for slow precision shooting.

I have had these for a while now. Pistols seem to come and go. Revolvers stay in the fold. :)

SW002.jpg

Nice collection. I'm on the S&W forum also and the regulars and experts speak of the N frame in almost hushed tones.While I'm not about to rule out another polymer pistol in the future, I'm loving the weight and permanence of all steel firearms. I think a Beretta 92fs is next on my list.

N frames are not quite as nimble as K frames. If I were going to be shooting light loads, the K frame revolver like a Model 19 is probably the nicest gun out there. Since I like to reload and often like to roll them hot, I know an N frame will withstand the punishment I dole out in 357 and 45ACP. The only N frame I would personally bypass is the Model 29 and variants. I have owned Model 629 and Ruger SBH, and there is no comparison. The Ruger is better built to withstand stout 44 magnum loads.

Yesterday I was finally able to hit the range.Shore shot was at first crowded with buyers but the black guns were all sold apparently as the wall was bare with 2 associates on the phone trying to order more.The range was filled with new shooters and Phil had his hand full instructing 3 lanes of novice shooters.

I started the 28 out with some Remington 130 grain .38s and at 10 yards was able to accomplish some very tight groups but a bit high and to the right, recoil was practically non existent. After adjusting my grip and trigger coverage the 10 ring became so easy and almost intuitive.... I love this gun.

50 rounds and 4 targets goes fast...too fast even when reloading 6 rounds at a time by hand, so now on to the .357s

I went through half a box of Fiocchi 142 grain .357s without so much as a twinge of discomfort or strain on my strong hand.Where is the stress I've read so much about firing .357s?

Next up was a box of handloaded .357 hollow points that came with the gun and was most likely loaded in the 90's by the original owner and "rolled hot" as lunker so colorfully put it. What a rush.By this time the target was at 15 yards and while accuracy suffered somewhat I was still in the 9s with perhaps 10% flyaways.

My neighbors shooting the obligatory Glocks had to ask what I was shooting but declined my offer for a couple shots.

The 28-2 while heavy was not difficult to shoot even with the .357s,more accurate and forgiving than it has a right to be with me on the trigger and recoil was apparent but very manageable even with hot loads. Trigger is crisp and immediate and has spoiled me for other guns. I did well trading for this revolver and understand why shooters like Mr Bob,lunker,smoking 50,M4BGRINGO and the rest swear by S&Ws.

Yesterday I was finally able to hit the range.Shore shot was at first crowded with buyers but the black guns were all sold apparently as the wall was bare with 2 associates on the phone trying to order more.The range was filled with new shooters and Phil had his hand full instructing 3 lanes of novice shooters.

I started the 28 out with some Remington 130 grain .38s and at 10 yards was able to accomplish some very tight groups but a bit high and to the right, recoil was practically non existent. After adjusting my grip and trigger coverage the 10 ring became so easy and almost intuitive.... I love this gun.

50 rounds and 4 targets goes fast...too fast even when reloading 6 rounds at a time by hand, so now on to the .357s

I went through half a box of Fiocchi 142 grain .357s without so much as a twinge of discomfort or strain on my strong hand.Where is the stress I've read so much about firing .357s?

Next up was a box of handloaded .357 hollow points that came with the gun and was most likely loaded in the 90's by the original owner and "rolled hot" as lunker so colorfully put it. What a rush.By this time the target was at 15 yards and while accuracy suffered somewhat I was still in the 9s with perhaps 10% flyaways.

My neighbors shooting the obligatory Glocks had to ask what I was shooting but declined my offer for a couple shots.

The 28-2 while heavy was not difficult to shoot even with the .357s,more accurate and forgiving than it has a right to be with me on the trigger and recoil was apparent but very manageable even with hot loads. Trigger is crisp and immediate and has spoiled me for other guns. I did well trading for this revolver and understand why shooters like Mr Bob,lunker,smoking 50,M4BGRINGO and the rest swear by S&Ws.

Told ya so. :)