jptsr1

Can I go to a range in NY?

Yup long guns are fine, they don't even have to be cased or in the trunk but the gun or magazine can not be loaded. Long guns are not firearms by NY law unless they have a smooth barrel under 18" or rifled barrel is under 16" (you get the idea). Definitely no pistols. No mags over 10 rounds unless they're pre-ban (which you wouldn't have as a NJ resident anyway but your NY friends might).

I shoot at Westchester County public range (Blue Mountain Reservation) all the time. Magazines are pointless at that particular range because rounds must be loaded one at a time and the RSOs have shields. Great place to shoot bolt action though. Where are you going?

Yup long guns are fine, they don't even have to be cased or in the trunk but the gun or magazine can not be loaded. Long guns are not firearms by NY law unless they have a smooth barrel under 18" or rifled barrel is under 16" (you get the idea). Definitely no pistols. No mags over 10 rounds unless they're pre-ban (which you wouldn't have as a NJ resident anyway but your NY friends might).

I shoot at Westchester County public range (Blue Mountain Reservation) all the time. Magazines are pointless at that particular range because rounds must be loaded one at a time and the RSOs have shields. Great place to shoot bolt action though. Where are you going?

A coworker of mine who lives in Westchester told me about this ranges one round only policy, this is all I could think. :facepalm:

Yeah sometimes guys show up for the first time with AR and AK pattern rifles and you'd think they just found out Santa Claus didn't exist with the look on their faces

Why the EFF would one bother going there?

Why the EFF would one bother going there?

It's a great place to shoot bolt action. If you happen to find yourself in the area then just grab your truck gun and shoot (I'm in the area a lot). Lots of random steel to aim for between the targets. It's really cheap. There is skeet and archery. Close to some great hiking with breathtaking views (Hudson Highlands opposite West Point).

I go to upstate NY often between Syracuse & Buffalo. When it comes to handguns, you have to have a NY Pistol Permit to shoot at the ranges. Most places wont even let you pass by the front counter unless you have a permit. We tried going in August with a friend that just returned from Afghanistan. We even contacted my friend's uncle who is a NY Trooper and he confirmed.

We do shoot rifles just about every time I'm up there and that includes my friend's AK's & M4's. Other than that, no handguns for us Jersey guys.

It's a great place to shoot bolt action. If you happen to find yourself in the area then just grab your truck gun and shoot (I'm in the area a lot). Lots of random steel to aim for between the targets. It's really cheap. There is skeet and archery. Close to some great hiking with breathtaking views (Hudson Highlands opposite West Point).

Thanks for the info, but something in me just refuses to be treated like a shmuck, even more than the way my own state treats me. Plus, I'd have to pay gas and tolls for the privilege ;-) Not that you or anyone else that frequents that range is a shmuck; I just don't understand the rationale for a policy like that or why they'd have LEO's policing the place as RSO's. But hey, whatever floats your boat, my man. Have fun, and if you're ever in the Bayonne area drop me a PM and I'll take you to the PBA range here.

I've got a good one about going to a range in NY. My buddy is in the NYPD. He's from NJ though, he move to NY state just so he could work for the NYPD. He's been into guns his whole life as have I. So he invited me to come up there and shoot at a indoor range with him, one that was right near his house. So I loaded up my Num. 4 Mk1 Enfield, a few boxes of .303 and just for good measure I brought a Ruger Mark III target pistol, a real nice one that I hadn't shot much. I can't recall what my buddy brought I think a M1A and a Mauser, something like that.

So we arrive at the range and fill out a couple forms. The guy asks us what we're shooting, we show him. Then he asks if the rounds were shooting were lead(at this particular range you were only allowed to shoot lead rounds), we show him the boxes and where it says lead. Then he told us that often times there's still steel in the slug and he pulls out a big magnet. Puts it up to the Enfield rounds, there's steel can't shoot em, puts em up the M1A rounds, steel can't shoot em, then puts em up to the Mauser rounds, steel can't shoot em, lastly he puts on the .22 rounds, they're good! At least we'll get to shoot something. Then he asks my buddy for the permit for the pistol(or whatever they call it in NY) and he says it's mine and I'm from NJ. The guy looked like he was gonna shit pants. He closed up the case and gave it back to me and told me that the penatly for bringing a pistol into NY was severe. Basically told us to get out of there back to NJ with that gun ASAP, which we did.

And here I'm with my buddy I've known since childhood, NYPD cop and everything and he had no idea how bad he could have screwed me. That was about 5 years ago but I still tease him about it to this day.

Just to re-iterate what may not be clear from this thread.

Unless you have a NY pistol permit, you may not have a pistol in NY. If you aren't a NY resident, you can't get a permit. The bottom line other than some very narrow exceptions for Olympians and NRA shooting events in which you are a participant and have the entry materials on your person, there is no legal way to be in possession of a handgun in NY.

I.E. Don't take your pistols to NY, if you get caught, you've committed a felony and will lose your gun rights forever. Long guns are ok for the most part but must not exceed 10 round magazines and the other assault restrictions.

I have 15 round "preban" mini 14 mags.

Thanks Scott

Yes it is very silly policy -- how it makes the range safer I have no idea. You definitely don't want to hear about the scolding you get when you lift the rifle slightly off the sandbag to shoot off-hand :stop:

So only one round at a time and you must shoot from a sandbag WTF that is insane

The latter you can do but it will catch their attention which will necessitate a conversation. I have a ching sling on my rifle that I like to practice with. The first time that I tried that the conversation ended with "Me: I know it's not as accurate as the bench rest but I need to practice it. RSO: alright, what do I know, you know best <eye roll>". I should also mention that you cannot shoot standing up as the rafters are too low.

As bad as it is I wish my county had a public range that I could complain about

Just to re-iterate what may not be clear from this thread.

Unless you have a NY pistol permit, you may not have a pistol in NY. If you aren't a NY resident, you can't get a permit. The bottom line other than some very narrow exceptions for Olympians and NRA shooting events in which you are a participant and have the entry materials on your person, there is no legal way to be in possession of a handgun in NY.

I.E. Don't take your pistols to NY, if you get caught, you've committed a felony and will lose your gun rights forever. Long guns are ok for the most part but must not exceed 10 round magazines and the other assault restrictions.

Malsua- several times a year I travel with handguns and long guns from NJ to my family property in VT. We travel on 87N up through Albany and into VT - obviously spending some time in NY state.

If I continue on my intended route with no unreasonable deviations, aren't I in compliance with the law under 'Safe Passage'?

I was under the impression that if I pack them according to the law (unloaded, ammo separate, locked cases, etc) that I am in no way breaking any law. Is this true or would I be commiting a felony and if pulled over and it was revealed - could they actually arrest me?

Malsua- several times a year I travel with handguns and long guns from NJ to my family property in VT. We travel on 87N up through Albany and into VT - obviously spending some time in NY state.

If I continue on my intended route with no unreasonable deviations, aren't I in compliance with the law under 'Safe Passage'?

I was under the impression that if I pack them according to the law (unloaded, ammo separate, locked cases, etc) that I am in no way breaking any law. Is this true or would I be commiting a felony and if pulled over and it was revealed - could they actually arrest me?

The issue is that you are legal federally and illegal to NY state. Could they arrest you? Yes, they have done so before, particularly in anti-gun areas. Will they arrest you? Probably not. The only prudent choice is to limit your exposure to NY gun laws. Don't get the attention of the police and choose routes that minimize your time in NY and you'll be fine. If you get pulled over by a zealot, they can really ruin your trip.

The longer you stay northbound on the NY Thruway the better. The most southern crossing I feel comfortable taking is the Tappen Zee. I've done the GWB before coming back from CT -- missed the Tappen Zee exit off the Saw Mill -- and let me tell you it is a nerve racking journey.

When I go to VT I probably do the same thing as you -- take the Thruway 50 miles past Albany and exit on 149 to 4 North. As soon as you cross into VT on 4 there is an exit for Route 22A with a Mobil gas station and McDonalds which is a perfect place to load and holster a handgun and vice versa. From there you can get back on 4 towards Rutland or 22A for north/south access.

P.S. Your protections under federal law (FOPA) are an affirmative defense. Meaning you first get arrested and guns taken. Never volunteer information to NY police, you are under no obligation to do so.