N2BRK

need some help staying NJ legal; tube mag

Hi - I'm trying to help my old Man. He's had an old High Standard for ever... got it when his Dad died way back when and stuck it in storage. It was bought here in NJ at Two Guys somewhere around the late 60's.

Here's the problem... I fixed it for him recently, and he's been shooting it at the range all fat, dumb, and happy. Today he asked me about a scope for it, and in the process of checking things out, I realized that it takes s, l, and lr - and of course it's a semi-auto --- oh $HIT. It holds 15LR, so I'm guessing that means about 20 shorts. Ugh.

I'm thinking I could pull the tube mag and use a small tubing cutter to shorten it so he's at about 11LR's. That should get me to 15 shorts, and keep him out of the Big House.

I'm up for suggestions though... I've never had to do this before!! Some ASSault weapon... I'd rather be armed with a bag of rocks instead of 20 shorts, lol.

Thanks!

Wally

I just found out that Kommiefornia exempts .22's from this rule, so now NJ just sucked a little more in my eyes, lol

FWIW, I tried to buy a 552 last month from a gun shop in NJ and he wouldn't sell it to me. I offered to crimp it right in the store, and he thought it still made it illegal by the very model number. UGH.

Yes, it's a tubing cutter

but you replace the cutter wheel with a similar sized washer

Crimp (don't cut) the tube to restrict the follower's movement

voila

jersey-legal

Thanks!!! Sounds easy, though not reversible of course... but that's the idea I suppose.

I'm going to try to find another tube to hold on to, in case things change and I can put it back for him in the future!

Wally

To keep you at or under 15 rounds in the tube.

Otherwise, you've got an evil assault weapon (as has been the case since Florio's Friggin' Fiasco of '89)

.22 tube feds are NOT exempt here in NJ as they are in other AWB states.

Is that only on Semi's? I always thought bolt action tube fed was exempt... but now I wonder..

I remember I had to wait 3 weeks for my Marlin 60 to have the long follower installed before I could buy it, this was right when the ban took effect. Making a longer follower, like Marlin did may prevent having to crimp the tube.

just semi - not bolt, slide, or lever.

I ended up taking the solid metal thumb piece off the top of the inner rod. I inserted 15 rounds of shorts into the mag tube, and then measured how long of a "stop" that I needed. I took some metal round rod and welded it to the thumb cap piece. Once reassembled, you can't load more then 15rds of shorts; it works out to 10rds of LR. I left just enough gap so the rod isn't pressing on the top round, but you couldn't fit an extra.

Next I need to put the old man's new birthday-present scope on and then zero it in at the range = the best part! :) gee Dad, I'm going to need a few more weeks to site her in better, lol.

Wally

good link; thanks for sharing.

Maybe before anyone is permitted to be on a gun ban committee, we round them up and make them sit on stage with Maury Povich and successfully complete a round of "assault weapon or not" where they play the game of looking at pictures and voting. To warm them up, he could do the old "Real Girl or Tranny" picture game... I'm sure the scores would be about the SAME!

Wally

I just found out that Kommiefornia exempts .22's from this rule, so now NJ just sucked a little more in my eyes, lol

:icon_lol:

If the gun does'nt load and shoot shorts I think your ok. Just because it holds more than 15 shorts does'nt mean it can load them. Crimp, don't cut. Try youtube for the process.

that was why I didn't crimp, I welded the round stock to the cap... I can always cut it off and weld a long/shorter rod to it. Plus, I bought an extra one in case people come to their senses all together and he can toss the modded err--- capped cap -- in favor of the OEM. Ugh.