this_is_nascar

Virgina Ducks Suit Over Nonresident Gun Laws

"... as well as a Virginia law prohibiting firearms dealers in the state from selling handguns to nonresidents."

http://www.gloucestercitynews.net/clearysnotebook/2013/01/virgina-ducks-suit-over-nonresident-gun-laws-by-dan-mccue-sharethis-cn-the-4th-circuit-affirmed-dismissal-of.html

I didn't know this about Virginia.

"Lane complained that she wanted to purchase two handguns in Virginia, but was initially unable to take possession of them because Washington's sole FFL had lost his lease and temporarily gone out of business. She contended that the laws hampered her ability to retrieve the firearms directly from the seller in Virginia.

Ultimately, the FFL in Washington reopened, and Lane retrieved the guns she wanted."

I can see WHY this would be an issue, in this case. Imagine if there was only one FFL in NJ and he was shut down for a period of time.

Sale of handguns to any nonresident must be transfered to the buyer though a FFL in the buyers home state, it's not just Virginia, it's all states..

What's the issue, did I miss something??

Buyer was from DC...IIRC DC's SOLE Licensed FFL is actually a front fot an Anti who refuses to sell any handguns..he got his FFL ONLY so that dc could then refuse any others since "We have an FFL"

"... as well as a Virginia law prohibiting firearms dealers in the state from selling handguns to nonresidents."

http://www.glouceste...smissal-of.html

I didn't know this about Virginia.

I beleive Virginia does also have a law on the books that prevents out of staters from buying long guns as well, or at least one of those "Contiguous State" provisions.

Sale of handguns to any nonresident must be transfered to the buyer though a FFL in the buyers home state, it's not just Virginia, it's all states..

What's the issue, did I miss something??

Seems from my read of it Virginia will not allow transfers of handguns to non-residents out of state even through an FFL. Ofcourse I just read the article and not the actual statute.

This suit was more directed at the Federal statute forcing one to only buy handguns in the home state. VA was just thrown in to give standing. The folks tried to buy in VA and were refused = standing. If they just tried to sue without first trying to buy the case would have been thrown out.

Seems from my read of it Virginia will not allow transfers of handguns to non-residents out of state even through an FFL. Ofcourse I just read the article and not the actual statute.

Handguns need to go through the persons home state FFL regardless, you can buy out of state but you can take possession, needs to ship the the buyers home state and transfer there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk