Sign in to follow this  
Tactical Turtle

saiga 12 conversion non pistol grip looky looky if u own a saiga 12

Since "thumbhole stock" isn't defined, it could go either way.

Do I think a person might land up in court because of it? Sure. If is friking NJ, anything could happen.

Making laws vague are sometimes the intention of the people who make them, it makes the sheep easier to police. Some will cower, some don't give a frack and some just leave. Which are you? (Yes, I know you left and so did I).

the main issue I see is that when something is not specifically defined you error on the side of assuming the law simply does not address it...

since NJ does not define "thumbhole stock" I would assume it does not exist... it is therefor a pistol grip.. or its a stock... that is why I erred on the side of not touching the S12 till I left NJ

So Turbo you're sayin a skeleton/thumbhole stock is good to go/ Because I just don't seem to trust Red Jacket I hate will and would not want a red jacket gun to own, and i can see them screwing up a minor detail like my freedom with the laws.... But I would trust this board for clarification, thx.

There's NO WAY i would Risk it...and Turbo never said at any time any of those were NJ Legal...the closes thing was that RJF did one that was NY Legal. NY Legal and NJ Legal are two different horses.

the main issue I see is that when something is not specifically defined you error on the side of assuming the law simply does not address it...

since NJ does not define "thumbhole stock" I would assume it does not exist... it is therefor a pistol grip.. or its a stock... that is why I erred on the side of not touching the S12 till I left NJ

This... California,and NY i belive HAVE "Thumbhole Stock" listed in their statutes..we do NOT. It's kind of like people trying to play the "Bullet Button" game....NOT going to fly here.

My opinion is that the factory skeleton stock is the closest to the spirit of a thumbhole stock as the firearm itself was not modified by changing out the FCG. You can always go back by simply swaping out the skeleton stock.

Quick question. . Now pistol grip is identified as being un the action.. so one of those tapco stocks that are behind the action with a pistol grip technically do not meet the definition of pistol grip do they

Quick question. . Now pistol grip is identified as being un the action.. so one of those tapco stocks that are behind the action with a pistol grip technically do not meet the definition of pistol grip do they

you won't find a firm answer because there is no test.. and it is vague..

If you think a thumbhole stock on a rifle is OK as per NJ rules, then logic would dictate that it would be OK on a shotgun too..

it is no different than a pistol grip..... on a rifle it is a countable feature... on semi auto shotgun pistol grip is automatic dis qualifier..

Ok, here is a possibly dumb question: How about if we have a thumbhole stock on the Saiga-12 with some sort of plug and some sort of full-length slip-on cover, a NJ Semi Auto Shotgun Condom........... We could unwrap and unplug here at the range, then cover her back up for the ride home? ;)

On a more serious note, can we bring a 10 round magazine to the range in pieces, assemble it while there, and disassemble it for the ride home? Is it illegal to have a mag like that in our posession while at a shooting competition? How about if I had an FFL bring it there and then he leaves with it when I am done?

Why doesn't NJ, or the Feds, let us get some sort of permit for stuff like this? Sorta like the other states that let you get the Tax Stamp or whatever it is called to allow you to buy a silencer.

That is IF you consider the thumbhole stock a "pistol grip". Some do, some don't and some are not sure.

However, unless there is a specific statute that says that it is illegal, Otherwise, thumbhole style stocks is technically legal as it is considered a thumbhole stock and not a pistol grip.

it is no different than a pistol grip..... on a rifle it is a countable feature... on semi auto shotgun pistol grip is automatic dis qualifier..

That is IF you consider the thumbhole stock a "pistol grip". Some do, some don't and some are not sure.

However, unless there is a specific statute that says that it is illegal, Otherwise, thumbhole style stocks is technically legal as it is considered a thumbhole stock and not a pistol grip.

With some thumbhole stocks, especially some of the ones posted in this thread, a prosecutor could make a very convincing argument that it fits the state's definition of a pistol grip.