Sign in to follow this  
Wikkie2204

Bulletproof Backpack????

Saw this on News 12. Ballistic insert for your child's backpack. Unfortunately, it's only a type I insert.

Ballistic Shield NIJ Type I

The J. Bullivant Ballistic Shield is the result of our Research and Development efforts spanning several years with a focus on ballistic and blast mitigation. The chemists and engineers developing this technology are Subject Matter Experts (SME). They have taken that experience and shared it with J. Bullivant and our line of backpacks. The Standard Series Ballistic Shields are rated as NIJ Type I. They have been tested against a 22-caliber Long Rifle High Velocity lead and a 38 Special Round-Nose lead ammunition. Fired at a velocity of 1050 feet per second and 850 feet per second respectively. The panel will also provide stab and blunt force protection far exceeding that of any other backpack.

Heaven forbid anyone bring a dreaded "black rifle" in where the velocity greatly exceeds this. For the price of the backpack and the "insert" you can outfit your child with a level 2A or possibly a 3A vest if you are bargain hunting.

http://www.jbullivant.com/urban-survival-products/student-series-solar-backpack-technology-package.html

Technically speaking if they had a few textbooks in there that'd probably also stop a round no? I know it'd at least stop a 22. Not sure about a 38.

I remember seeing some videos of various rounds going into a phone book and most cannot penetrate all the way through. Rifle round would be different of course.

They have been tested against a 22-caliber Long Rifle High Velocity lead and a 38 Special Round-Nose lead ammunition. Fired at a velocity of 1050 feet per second and 850 feet per second respectively.

How does that compare to, say, a stack of textbooks, notebooks and a laptop in a backpack?

Or is carrying around a bunch of books in a backpack too old-school?

this is the most idiotic thing i've ever heard... do they think, God forbid, killer will be aiming only to backpacks? or kids would wear these stupid backpacks all day in class? and even if a bullet wouldnt penetrate a backpack, can you imagine what damage it would cause to a fragile body of 6-10 yo kid? geez... this world went nuts big time..

It's exploiting parents' natural fears. For money.

Much the same way our President is exploiting parents' natural fears. For politics.

We were protected by nuns armed with rulers during the 1960s riots. I was too young and stupid to be terrified. But nothing happened to us.