areacode201

Already pinned collapsible stock adjustment?

I have a NJ neutered S&W MP 15-22, came with the stock "permanently" pinned to the fully extended position. I shoot it alright but I feel like it would be a little more comfortable if it was adjusted at least one or two notches forward. Is this an adjustment I can do myself or would it be better to just let a gunsmith handle it? If better left to a smith can anyone recommend a good place to have this done in North NJ?

Worst case scenario, you can always replace it. New tube and stock.

To add, just google'd and saw another guy asking the same thing. The current tube might be proprietary and may not be capable of adjusting even if there was a pin to remove. Most recommend replacing it.

Worst case scenario, you can always replace it. New tube and stock.

To add, just google'd and saw another guy asking the same thing. The current tube might be proprietary and may not be capable of adjusting even if there was a pin to remove. Most recommend replacing it.

On the 15-22 the "buffer" tube/receiver extension is part of the lower receiver. It's all one piece.

Once you remove the pin, it is adjustable, but it is considered an assault rifle then. You can legally make the adjustment in PA :lol:

Or, you could remove the pistol grip and give it to a friend to "possess" while you remove the pin and adjust your stock.

On the 15-22 the "buffer" tube/receiver extension is part of the lower receiver. It's all one piece.

Once you remove the pin, it is adjustable, but it is considered an assault rifle then. You can legally make the adjustment in PA :lol:

Or, you could remove the pistol grip and give it to a friend to "possess" while you remove the pin and adjust your stock.

Or you could just remove the pin adjust it to where you want it, drill a hole and repin it. I doubt SWAT will break down your door and arrest you. Will the firearm be in an illegal state for a few minutes? Yeah. But the antis are always talking about common sense laws. Taking the gun to PA to repin a stock isn't common sense..Well, unless you live on the border.

It's simple if it's just pinned, not epoxied or glued like vlad said. YouTube will show you the way....

I saw it on tv once :) and all they did was get a drill bit smaller than the roll pin and drill it. It should bite it and just use pliers to pull it out. Then adjust it to your liking and re-pin it again, you might want to use a different roll pin, just copy te way they did it. I believe they pinned it only in one side, meaning it doesnt go all the way thru the other side. Which makes it ALOT harder to take out since, you cant just punch it all the way thru. You can even put a little dab of crazy glue.

But like I said, I saw it on tv.. Or you can bring it to your local gunsmith? :)

What he ^ said

There is a very small pin going in from the left side of the stock, and it does not go all the way through.

Once removed, you can adjust to where you want it, then redrill and pin.

Hardest part looks like extracting that little pin.

Hardest part looks like extracting that little pin.

I don't know about anyone else's but mine almost fell out just from shooting it.

After about 3000 rounds, I just happened to have looked at it and it had slid 3/4 of the way out all on its own.

Of course I took care of it, but surprised it wasn't double pinned right from S&W.

Or you could just remove the pin adjust it to where you want it, drill a hole and repin it. I doubt SWAT will break down your door and arrest you. Will the firearm be in an illegal state for a few minutes? Yeah. But the antis are always talking about common sense laws. Taking the gun to PA to repin a stock isn't common sense..Well, unless you live on the border.

I was just telling him the legal way of going about doing it. It seems a lot of people on here are passionate about the "Constructive Possession".

You likely won't be able to grab it with a pair of channel locks. Needle nose if it's exposed a bit.

Thanks for all the information everyone. Would it be possible to just pull the pin out with a channel lock? I just checked out the stock and the edge of the pin is somewhat exposed I could definitely get a grip on the exposed portion.

Try it and find out, a metal pick with a bend so you can hook it might work too. Maybe a drill bit thats made for extracting broken screws could catch it too