Sign in to follow this  
70gto

Help Advise wanted on 6.8 spc

Hey guys just tossing around the idea of a 6.8 ar , I never shot one, anybody here have one? Can you tell me your impressions, recoil , wieght etc, good , bad indifferent. nice to have, must have or not worth it. I know the ammo is expensive but nowadays what isnt. The rifles I like to shoot are generally centered on accurate/ reliable shtf types. to be honest the barrel legnth I would consider would be 14.5 or 16. I already have a 556 and 308

Thanks looking forward to hear what you think.

I have no personal experience with this caliber, but if you plan your firearms around SHTF type scenarios. If TSHTF are you going to be able to find 6.8 ammo in any local stores? The only gun store that I have ever seen that stocked 6.8 was Cabelas. Just some food for thought from a different perspective.

I have no personal experience with this caliber, but if you plan your firearms around SHTF type scenarios. If TSHTF are you going to be able to find 6.8 ammo in any local stores? The only gun store that I have ever seen that stocked 6.8 was Cabelas. Just some food for thought from a different perspective.

I hear ya that is a big consideration too

I have been thinking about doing a 6.8spc. or a 300blk. The 300blk uses the same components as a 5.56 except for the barrel. You may have the same problem with ammo in a shtf scenario but you could just build an upper and swap it out on your lower. Also maybe one day if you ever move to a free state you could suppress it and have some real fun. That's may thinking now and have pretty much given up the 6.8 for now. The 300blk will also shoot 300aac so you have two shots at finding ammo, and from what I have been reading a lot more ammo companies are going to start loading 300blk.

There will be no ammo of any kind, anywhere, if the SHTF for real. If you can't produce your own ammo, you're not really prepping. 6.8 SPC II is quite common, and easy to load.

The thought is if some kind of crazy end of the world SHTF scenario were to happen, there is a lot more 223/556 ammo floating around then 6.8. But I agree if your planning for doomsday you have to add reloading to your list of skills.

There will be no ammo of any kind, anywhere, if the SHTF for real. If you can't produce your own ammo, you're not really prepping. 6.8 SPC II is quite common, and easy to load.

This is BS that I hear all over gun forums.

Why are 1000, 5000, or 100,000 sets of brass, projectiles, primers and powder better than the same amount of loaded rounds?

In the unlikely event the S really does HTF do you think reloading components are going to be easier to find than loaded ammo?

From the NYShooter blog on the 6.8............

6.8 SPC. Another design to deliver double or more than the 5.56 out of the same rifle, and it works really nicely. Unlike the 6.5 Grendel, it's mostly intended for 300 yards and less and does nicely out of 16" barrels, even shorter when needed.

It's basically a .270 (.277, actually but think .270 Winchester as the rifle round we all know) bullet in a .30-30 case with the case fitted to work in the AR15 action. What a nifty concept! 110/115 grain bullet standard, different ones available to tailor to different needs. Shoots easy but hits really hard like your usual deer blaster.

Uses:

A. Target and competition.

B. Home and property defense. BIG advantage for those uses.

C. Deer and wild boar (hog, pig, swine...) hunting. EXCELLENT for such purposes within 300 yards or so, very highy regarded by hunters who use it.

D. Other uses common to .223/5.56 etc. within 300 yards.

I went with the 300 blackout. Same uses, but I feel more versatile platform.