M4BGRINGO

Stupid Enter Key Question

Why is it that most of the time I can not use my enter key anymore? Does not do a carriage feed or return............. Happens on both of my laptops and my desktop. Getting very annoying. Not working right now as I type this either.

Does the key seem to 'spring' back up when you press it, or does it already always feel depressed? Try hitting it on the edge of the key, sometimes you need a different angle to get them to work. Does it feel gritty in any way?

Try turning the keyboard upside down and using some compressed air to blow out any debris...

On a desktop keyboard, MOST keys can be popped off and cleaned underneath. Try at your own risk...though a new keyboard is under $20 for a basic model...

Laptop keyboards I wouldn't mess with. You can often times pop off the entire keyboard and put in a new one for pretty cheap, the replacement keyboard off ebay, and a how-to via google/youtube. This is likely a little more expensive, but not terribly so - often $40 or less based on what I've seen, and anyone should be able to do it (or ask any 9 year old)

Are you saying it doesn't work just in this forum? It seems as though it is working with all that empty space below your typing. I know on certain forums and Facebook you can tell your enter key to post or to just do a carriage return. I am not sure about this forum, I do know if I hit enter now it will go to the next line. Yours doesn't do that?

I would certainly think he doesn't have a back enter key on all of his devices, if it was happening one one device then ok try and clean it but not on all your systems.

It is only on this forum. My old laptop is pretty beat, but the keys on it work. This is being typed on a brand-new laptop. My brand-new desktop doesn't work correctly either. Now, I use IE to get onto the Internet. I have Windows XP on the old laptop and Windows 8 on the other two. I'll fire-up the old laptop and see if the enter key still doesn't work in this forum using that one. I know, crazy isn't it....

In IE open the developer console (f12 i think it is) and set it to IE9 or IE8 mode. Perhaps IE10 and the site don't play nicely together. Wouldn't be the first time a browser wasn't written to the standards, assuming the page written to the standards...

Also look at Chrome or Firefox, they tend to work better with more things, except sites that were written to work with IE7 and previous.

Here I am on the old laptop and the enter key is working using this one. So....................I guess it is an IE issue, or a Windows 8 issue. Just my luck!

Now to figure this out.

Who else is using Windows 8?

Probably windows 8. A LOT of stuff that uses javascript and involves I/O is severely broken under windows 8 as the OS apparently changed the underlying api for the touch interface without making it work properly for a keyboard, mouse, and lots of existent websites or parts thereof. This forum's editor is simple compared to some AJAX based applications, it was giving us fits at work, we just had to declare it broken and currently unsupported. We'll see what happens with our site licnese regarding it. Hopefully we skip it and stick with 7 until 9 shows up (at least).