Bbott

Firearm Transport Question - SUV - Gun Bag

The law part being "Not accessible from the passenger compartment". Leahcim posted that it can be on the front seat in a ziplock.

I gotta double check now, I was starting to feel like an adult by making my own decisions. I started to forget NJ frowns on that.

Read 2C:39-6g, is posted 3 times in the thread here. You can choose anything from gun + loaded mags in a box on the passenger seat to bullets in straight jackets, mags welded to the car frame, and guns in a steel box that's welded shut while wearing your lucky underwear and doing a rain dance...

what part is that?

Read 2C:39-6g, is posted 3 times in the thread here. You can choose anything from gun + loaded mags in a box on the passenger seat to bullets in straight jackets, mags welded to the car frame, and guns in a steel box that's welded shut while wearing your lucky underwear and doing a rain dance...

Love it ! Thanks.

I was under the impression the guns couldn't be accessible from the passenger compartment too. Thought I was taking a chance carrying them in the cab. From now on the loaded mags stay in the case with the HG's.

How about this one. Pickup truck, gun rack in the window, big clear super magnum condom tied on the shot gun AR hanging on the gun rack, shells on the seat.

Ok go.........

Love it ! Thanks.

I was under the impression the guns couldn't be accessible from the passenger compartment too. Thought I was taking a chance carrying them in the cab. From now on the loaded mags stay in the case with the HG's.

How about this one. Pickup truck, gun rack in the window, big clear super magnum condom tied on the shot gun AR hanging on the gun rack, shells on the seat.

Ok go.........

keep in mind there is law.... and there is practiced law...

while technically an unloaded rifle in a sock on a rack WOULD be legal... there is a slim chance it might cost you some money to prove that.... while I will not live in fear of laws that are not there.. I am not going to go out of my way to advertise what I am doing...

I would follow the law.. and just be discrete...

I was under the impression the guns couldn't be accessible from the passenger compartment too.

The confusion likely lies in that this is in fact correct of interstate transportation IAW FOPA. However this is not applicable of NJ intrastate transportation. If only things weren't so damn arbitrary.

:)

From 18 USC § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms

and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle

keep in mind there is law.... and there is practiced law...

while technically an unloaded rifle in a sock on a rack WOULD be legal... there is a slim chance it might cost you some money to prove that.... while I will not live in fear of laws that are not there.. I am not going to go out of my way to advertise what I am doing...

I would follow the law.. and just be discrete...

Good advice as always Vlad, thanks.

The confusion likely lies in that this is in fact correct of interstate transportation IAW FOPA. However this is not applicable of NJ intrastate transportation. If only things weren't so damn arbitrary.

:)

From 18 USC § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms

"and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle"

I think you nailed it. So now what does "readily or directly accessible mean" ?

I imagine the law is meant to prevent a crime of passion, IE: road rage murder, but placing the firearm in a LOCKED or zip tied case on the front seat seems to satisfy the readily/directly accessible part. I know this subject is probally like :thsmiley_deadhorse: to you guys but it is important to me to revisit certain things occasionally. And the discussion surely will help the recent new members. Thanks

I would argue that in a ziploc bag is not "readilly accessible." You have to open the ziploc bag and load the magazine. Depending on the interpretation of "readily accessible" or "directly accessible," NJ legal may satisfy the restrictions of FOPA. However, I would only argue it in theory; I would not want to argue it in court or to an officer at a routine traffic stop. Even intrastate, I keep everything out of sight--no one needs to know what I am doing.

You guys are tooooo much!

Just keep your crap cased and unloaded, out of arm's reach as far away from the driver as possible, given the vehicle design. And throw a blanket over it in case you spill your coffee while changing a flat, cause that's more likely to happen than anything else!

Nuff said!

Dave

45 years behind the trigger(s).

I would argue that in a ziploc bag is not "readilly accessible." You have to open the ziploc bag and load the magazine. Depending on the interpretation of "readily accessible" or "directly accessible," NJ legal may satisfy the restrictions of FOPA. However, I would only argue it in theory; I would not want to argue it in court or to an officer at a routine traffic stop. Even intrastate, I keep everything out of sight--no one needs to know what I am doing.

traveling from NJ to NJ FOPA does NOT apply...

therefor you must follow NJ law..

NJ law does not dictate readily accessible.. it instead relies on the conditions of

*unloaded

*cased or securely wrapped

thats it.. nothing more nothing less...

NJ to NJ

NJ law prevails..

NJ to or through another state

FOPA prevails