Mike48

common bullet for 7.62x39 and 54R

I want to reload for both an SKS and several Mosins, and am assembling components, and want to save some money by using a common bullet. Anyone tried this?

I was thinking 155 grain would be a good compromise...heavy for the SK and light for the Mosin.

Are both weapons capable of firing a bullet in the range .308 to .312?

Should I get a .312 mold and size down to .310? How much does a sizer shave off?

any warnings so I dont make expensive mistakes? I have worked with Lead somewhat in casting bearings and hammers.

thanks for any advice

Im not 100% sure what the bore sizes are on the SKS or the Mosin. I have a mosin and shoot a lot of com block spam can ammo from it! Seriously though, you need to use the proper size projectile for the barrel or you are going to loose accuracy and/or velocity or worse. I know a handfull of mosins where .308. I know none of the russian made ones are though. I think they are .311? The best way to know for sure is to slug the barrel. If you have a good set of calipers you can do this at home and get the true size of the bore.

Or, you can hang out here and wait for one of the russian gun gurus to see this!

Good Luck.

Ken

Im not 100% sure what the bore sizes are on the SKS or the Mosin. I have a mosin and shoot a lot of com block spam can ammo from it! Seriously though, you need to use the proper size projectile for the barrel or you are going to loose accuracy and/or velocity or worse. I know a handfull of mosins where .308. I know none of the russian made ones are though. I think they are .311? The best way to know for sure is to slug the barrel. If you have a good set of calipers you can do this at home and get the true size of the bore.

Or, you can hang out here and wait for one of the russian gun gurus to see this!

Good Luck.

Ken

Thats a good suggestion...all 3 rifles may have different bore sizes....

as far as accuracy....I cant see to hit anything much beyond 200 yards anymore, so it could be a little sloppy and not be a prob.

I am just wondering if I can cast a .312 bullet and size it down to .309.....will sizing dies shave off .003 without wrecking the bullet...or is it a matter of squashing the bullet to that size?

I'll keep an eye on this. I don't load for rifle and at this time I'd only consider 30/30 for my lever. Never gave it a thought for 7.62X54R being the 7 spam cans I have cost me shipping to my door 80 bucks each and can't imagine getting that huge a difference in cost with reloading. After all to me while it can be used for longer range shots, I don't consider it to be a 500 yard tack driver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll keep an eye on this. I don't load for rifle and at this time I'd only consider 30/30 for my lever. Never gave it a thought for 7.62X54R being the 7 spam cans I have cost me shipping to my door 80 bucks each and can't imagine getting that huge a difference in cost with reloading. After all to me while it can be used for longer range shots, I don't consider it to be a 500 yard tack driver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I find out anything elsewhere, I will update this.

I have spam cans too, and I dont like opening them...and I want the ability to reload them, even if it doesnt make economic sense now....plus I want the general reloading experience...have only loaded 9's so far...didnt blow myself up....yet