mikeytapz13

Dedicated 22 build

Thanks to my fellow forum members...i was able to put together in a very short amount of time a dedicated 22lr build.

Lower: omni multi-cal by ATI...for a polymer lower i am very impressed on build quality

Stock: a2 zytel skeleton

Upper: chiappa arms dedicated 22lr upper...again all polymer and very impressed

Furniture: compliments of magpul

- sorry for crappy pics

post-6023-0-86134700-1360936461_thumb.jpg

Heres the scoop on performance...brought it to the range 120 rounds no problems at all...load up another mag, pull the charging handle...click,click...nothing..release the mag, clear the chamber ...i take a look and apparently the bolt did not release and is stuck at the open position...i spent 20 minutes trying to figure out the problem. Finally i shoulder the rifle and it charges no problem...couple more rounds no problem...load another mag, and the same issue. Frustrated i go home to see what the problem is...seems like the upper does not fullly sit on the lower... However if u add bit of downward pressure onto the upper, the bolt will then work...perhaps why it worked when i shoulder it....is this common for 22 builds, common for ars? I dunno if its me of the rifle. I own a sig556 never had 1 problem...any input?

no answer to why. but thats why i asked, i had a problem with a chiappa pistol. not built very well. but call them and explain to them. they will take it back and fix or send you a new one. they are pretty good about that. i send my pistol in to them and they returned it with a bunch of free mags and the problem was fixed. my guess is they have quality control issues, rush too fast and dont check their work.

Hey guys figured it out..i took it apart and the rear take down pin was not being held back by the detent...what the was causing was improper seating off the upper...being obsessive compulsive i went back to the range and gave it another whirl...no problems...so in my book A+ for chiappa and ati, D for me on my first build

I wanted to get a dedicated 22lr. I tried a Target Master 22 conversion on my existing AR and was not happy with the groupings.

I looked at the Chiappa upper that I could slap onto my existing lower but was not certain about the quality of the Chiappa. I would also have to make it NJ legal. I was at a gun store and this guy was picking up Chiappa 22lr mags. I asked him how he liked it. His reply was that it was nice but he liked his M&P 15-22 better. I found a S&W M&P 15-22 for $400 and was going to go for that but was not sure if I could deal with waiting.

My buddy then informed me about Taccom. I did some research and found out that I did not need many parts to complete it. I had a stripped upper in hand that I was going to use to build a blackout upper. I picked up the Taccom barrel and a cheap YHM handguard and was all set. The Taccom barrel kit comes with the collar to replace the existing one on the Target Master bolt. I matched this with a NFA poly lower. This thing is super light.

IMG_2176_zps8d152e82.jpg