Sign in to follow this  

Assemblyman O'Donnell

After the farce of today's General Assembly, I put together following for Assemblyman O'Donnell.

Assemblyman Jason O'Donnell,

I watched with some amusement your interaction with Assemblyman Carroll.

For your reference, legally transferring a handgun requires the same background check as a Firearms Purchaser ID Card. It is the same NJSP form, below.

http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sts-033.pdf

Assemblyman Carroll is exactly correct: your bill adds no additional value.

The handgun permit is valid for 90 days, with a limit of 1 purchase every month. Your statement regarding purchasing the weapon 1 year after the initial background check is non sequitur.

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/firearms/njac-title13-ch54.pdf

It is unfortunate the NJ Democratic party's actions today is guided more by politics than wisdom or factual knowledge. Your efforts add burden to underfunded municipal detectives and NJ State Police. I urge you to consult with folks who are more knowledgeable regarding NJ firearms ownership.

Sincerely

OK, here's my correspondence.

Dear Mr. O'Donnell,

I am writing to express my disappointment in your memorable exchange yesterday with Assemblyman Carroll, which will undoubtedly become a Youtube cult classic.

Your ignorance of current gun laws and inability to articulate how the proposed laws will improve public safety is a disgrace. The bill is to take a "second look?" It's actually a third look. FID -> Permit to purchase -> additional background check. All "looking" at the same database.

If crime predictably is unaffected by this bill, will you then demand a fourth look? And a fifth? And a sixth, until gun owners simply can't keep up with your arbitrary hurdles? Is this really the best you can do? Could no one in the entire Assembly craft legislation to fix the mental health system? To address drug abuse? To offer an alternative to a life of crime to the have nots? You and your kind have squandered an historical opportunity for real change.

All I can say in your defense is that you didn't do much worse than any of the other assemblymen who were eviscerated by Assemblyman Carroll. And the knee jerk vote of your party has publicly exposed that sham you have made of sense and reason. If these bills are worthy of the Democratic machine's reflexive support, why can't anyone put together a paragraph that explains how they are beneficial to anyone but yourselves?

Mr. O'Donnell, it is no secret that your allies have called the death of 20 children a "political gold mine," and are abusing the process and desecrating the memory of those children to embarrass the Governor and thus advance your political careers.

We are watching, we are organizing, and we are educating. You will hear from us again in November. Until then, if you have a shred of conscience, you will be haunted by the souls of those children you have betrayed. No communion, no confession will remove this stain.