Shane45

Are the Fudds our enemy?

"You are assuming they are a segment of the gun community. They are not, they just happen to own some guns"

A valid point! So how do we stop them from getting heralded as such by the media and politicians?

You don't, not without going down a path of prohibiting freedom of speech. Everyone has a right to be wrong and scream it from the rooftops. I think the answer is calmly explaining in simple turns to anyone listening why he/she/them standing on the rooftop is wrong.

You are assuming they are a segment of the gun community. They are not, they just happen to own some guns. Those aren't the same thing.

thats the problem. you can own a motorcycle and not be a biker. you can own tools but not be a home mechanic. you can own a muscle or sports car and not be a car enthusiast. you can own/hunt with a shotgun and not be a gun enthusiast.

until the fudds change their views, yes they are our enemy. since theyre not helping our cause; either by abstaining from it entirely or by supporting the gun control crowd 'because it doesnt involve thier guns', they are our enemies.

Let me be clear and repeat that Im not calling all hunters Fudd's. Im calling the Fudds, Fudds :). Those that know me know I eternally preach 2A. Let me put it this way. I have converted a million fence sitters and even a few anti's. But I have never converted a Fudd! And that is NOT for a lack of trying.

There is the probnlem..people hear "Fudd" and ASSUME you are speaking of all hunters, when that couldnt be farther from the truth..Most "Fudds" have never Hunted ANYTHING..a "Fudd" is someone who will agree to allow YOUR Rights infringed upon, as long as HIS rights remain untouched. A Classic Example is someone like John Kerry Who owns and shoots Doubles...but wants to see EBR's Banned.

Having just educated a number of hunters at my club last week, I can tell you that apathy and lack of information are our biggest concerns. These are easily overcome, although it's a battle to get them to do the heavy lifting of writing and calling.

Most hunters are not active in online forums and do not carefully read every "common sense" bill proposed and think about the (un)indended consequences. They just see "AWB" and assume it doesn't apply.

In their recent triumphalism, the antis have shown their hand more clearly than ever, which helps us to show hunters how even their Remington 1100s may be next.

1) AWB: Did anyone see Ted Cruz's masterful demonstration in the senate hearing? He put up a picture of a Remington 750, then held up a piece of plastic, and explained how that turns a popular hunting rifle into an assault weapon. I always wondered how antis could miss this. Until I read a recent article talking about how 2000+ guns are getting through a "loophole" in the Feinstein bill. They pointed out the banned version of the Ruger Mini-14 and were outraged that the standard model is still legal. So, by getting people to accept that AWBs are evil, they turn our argument on its head and use it to reach the next step in their agenda: if certain semi-autos are illegal, then just removing a couple of cosmetic features is a devious workaround which must be stopped. This whole strategy is a brilliant two step manipulation of the public to get them to accept something they wouldn't accept all at once. Namely, to ban the Remington 750.

2) Two pieces of recent rhetoric: Obama telling people they can "keep their revolver for self defense" and Biden's idiocy about a double barrel shotgun. This isn't stupidity, it's their way of gradually dumbing down the definition of what's reasonable for self defense to exclude semi-autos.

As evidence of how well this is working, I have had multiple "friends" ask me, in hushed tones, if I own a "semi-automatic." Once I say yes, it doesn't matter how I try to explain, their ears close and their eyes glaze over. Just yesterday, I was explaining to someone how it's important sometimes to get a quick followup shot at a pheasant, and her reply was, "I thought hunting was supposed to be a sport."

I unfortunately cant find it anymore, but there was an essay on the Brady Site that listed going after Bolt-action rifles (Sent so far as to call them "ALL potential Sniper Rifles"), repeating shotguns, and ALL handguns as part of a long-term plan.