iRace559

Thoughts on Airsoft Guns for Training During this Ammo Shortage

I'm sure this topic has been brought up numerous times, however its really caught my attention now that sites such as Atlantic Firearms are carrying Airsoft guns for alternative training purposes.

I've been seriously looking into purchasing a Magpul Airsoft Gun to have fun / keep my skills sharp.

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=139_24_360&products_id=6059

With the increasing costs and scarcity of ammo, this really seems like a viable training alternative. I only have about 1000 rounds per caliber, and I don't want to burn through that and have no source of re-stocking

What are your thoughts?

What sort of training are you looking for?

Airsoft guns can be good for training purposes but in terms of accuracy they're not nearly as accurate as a regular gun. Also - most AEGs (like the rifle you're looking at) does not have blowback functionality - so you won't experience any recoil. Another thing you will notice is the trigger delay. Unless you have a really expensive gun, you'll have a period of hesitation while the battery/motor pulls the gears and cylinder back before the shot.

Airsoft gas pistols are not like this - they're far more realistic as they have blowback action and generally have proper trigger response.

Many quality airsoft guns are nearly identical in size and weight to their real counterparts. My Tokyo Marui P226 with a Guarder full metal kit weighs as much as my real P226 does unloaded. It also fits in my Serpa just as well as the real gun. My KJW P229s are actually heavier than my real P226 (and also fit the Serpa). Slide stop lever and decocker are in the same spots, though both require less force than their real counterparts (obviously). My G&P GBB M4 is the same weight as a real M4 (and has even fooled a few gun owners into thinking it is real, based on look and feel.) Recoil of a gas blowback (aka GBB) is closer to that of a low or standard velocity .22LR on the GBBs I have owned or operated.

Something else to consider is a conversion to .22LR. Many common guns have a .22LR conversion kit available. This will allow you to train cheaply on the exact gun you'd be using, typically with no difference in functionality (other than reduced recoil, or the occasional model that refuses to lock back the slide on the last round). The cost for a .22LR kit often will be about the same as a quality airsoft setup will be....though per-shot costs will be significantly lower with airsoft. Airsoft will allow you to [potentially] practice in your backyard or basement...(away from windows, TVs, and other fragile things, assuming there's no no discharge laws, no public view, and/or no nosy neighbors)

Electric guns, as mentioned above, will have a delay in their operation...I'd suggest against them as they will have very few functional similarities to a real firearm. Gas blowback airsoft guns will give you the most 'realistic' feel and operation to a real firearm.

I got into airsoft well before I got into real firearms, so I've got some useful training on airsoft guns and feel it has helped me...

Honestly, one of my rifles was built in order to mimic an airsoft gun. I had so much experience using the airsoft gun, the transition to the (forgive the airsofter lingo) "Realsteel" version was far easier.

They're excellent training tools depending on what you're doing, and, in some ways, more fun if you go out to a good game.

NO, THEY DON'T HAVE RECOIL

NO THEY AREN'T AS LONG RANGED, OR ACCURATE

NO THEY DO NOT FUNCTION THE SAME (GBBs...meh... closer, but still no)

But honestly, how important is that stuff? Airsoft guns allow for a dynamic style of training that's a lot more expensive (and more dangerous) using real firearms. Just playing your average airsoft game, you can practice concealment, as well as dynamic movement/fire techniques. Plus it gives you a better feel for things like reloading, target acquisition, and if you work at maintaining proper aiming technique, you'll be a more accurate shooter too.

Case in point, I never fired a gun until a few years ago, and I've only been to the range about 10 times. But for someone with so little practice with real firearms, I'm a pretty good shot.

But yeah, you also get used to firing under pressure, and in stressful situations. Sure, your life isn't on the line, but in a good airsoft game, you can panic when you've suddenly got enemy on two separate flanks.

Yeah, I know most real gun owners poo-poo airsoft, but honestly there's a lot of skills you can practice with airsoft that translate to real firearms. Hell, most real gun owners don't know dick about airsoft, they see the cheap, crappy guns, and figure they're all like that...

...Yeah, I love airsoft, Kaiser was originally my airsoft handle.

Airsoft just isn't "there".

I mean, some of the higher end stuff is fun to mess around with, but in the end you're shooting something that sounds like a pissed off sewing machine. I was always disappointed with the reliability and the price of the game.

If you're going air soft, go GBB, and go for a good one. KWA actually makes a line marketed towards professional force on force training (the PTP line), and it's Japanese counterpart KSC makes some of the most detailed replicas ever. Keep in mind that GBBs are not so reliable, and that their performance can vary with the weather and how fast you're firing. Weight distribution can be different, the magazines tend to be on the heavy side due to the pneumatic components, and at best the recoil is comparable to a .22.

But can you really argue at $12 for a bag of 4000 high quality BBs, and $3 for a bottle of propane?