Blake

Service life of a pistol barrel...aka how many rounds til it's toast

I would like some feedback from you guys regarding how long a modern pistol barrel should last round count wise. Looking online the answers vary wildly. I am looking at purchasing a used firearm that has ~2k rounds through it. While I know that 2k is no where near the end of it's service life, I am wondering if there is a generally accepted round count that the barrel and/or spring would need to be replaced.

The firearm in question is an HK P30 long slide in 9mm.

Barrel life in a handgun depends on a lot of things. Hot loads will create more wear, lead bullets less (lower coefficient of friction). I have a Combat Commander with at least 30,000 rds (mostly lead) that still runs strong and shoots accurately. I have to say in 45+ years of shooting I have never seen anyone wear out a pistol barrel. Damage, yes, wear out no.

Rifles are much different.

I would agree with Grizz I doubt you will ever wear the barrel out of a pistol, before that would happen you would end up wearing everything out around it. I have a M9 with at least 9k rounds through it and counting shoots just as strait as it did from day 1.

Depending on the asking price after a few years of shooting would a replacement barrel be cost effective??

It would depend on the firearm some require a lot more work then others, replace a 1911 barrel typically requires

a good amount of fitting and for most people they would require a gunsmith. I know there are a lot of after market

replacement barrles for glocks and other more popular had guns but I personally have never seen anything just

drop right in and work correctly. I have revolvers and pistols from WW2 that I shoot often with excellent barrels. I really

do not see the average gun owner running into this situation.

Honestly 2000 rounds is nothing. Of you regularly shoot that isnt much. The thing that would effect it most is did they clean it. If the gun is cleaned regularly I don't think there will ever be a problem. But like anything if you don't take care of it it will limit its lifespan