mag1

Ideas for Wilson Combat Build

I am in no rush for another 1911, so I am going to have a Wilson built and order through Jerry Hammond.

Any ideas on how to make this one not so common?

I am liking the color case hardening, and I do not see this too much.

This will be my first new Wilson build. Not sure which model, but not gonna be a CQB since I have 1 already.

Just looking for some ideas from you guys, no rush.

Get some kind of CCO build done. Officers short grip frame with a commander length slide. Black frame, color case hardened slide. 10-8 rear combat sight, gold dot front. All the controls in brushed stainless. Get the concealed carry hammer and beavertail. Of course all barstock internals. Some black buffalo horn grips... done.

C

I am in no rush for another 1911, so I am going to have a Wilson built and order through Jerry Hammond.

Any ideas on how to make this one not so common?

I am liking the color case hardening, and I do not see this too much.

This will be my first new Wilson build. Not sure which model, but not gonna be a CQB since I have 1 already.

Just looking for some ideas from you guys, no rush.

Humm, what are you going to use it for? Do you like shorties like the commander or officers size? I know you dont want a CQB b/c you have one already but the CQB is Wilson's "base gun" where everything starts. You take a basic CQB and can customize the heck out of it with all the options that are available. Case in point, I really loved the Wilson 1911 Centennial limited edition that they introduced in 2011 but did not like the rollmarks on the slide. To me it looks like a billboard and takes the eyes away from the finer lines of the 1911. What I did was start with a basic CQB and had Wilson build it up with everything included in the Centennial model except the rollmarks on the slide. I also had them install a magwell. Below are some photos. The finish is the same (high polished Turnbull blue) but the lighting, staging and photo processing are a world apart.

Here is what I am talking about...

Original Centennial edition Wilson Combat...

1911-1.jpg

100th-0021.jpg

My Wilson CQB...

CQB1.jpg

CQB2.jpg

Get the Tactical Elite (comes with many extras). It has the bull barrel that suppose to be amazingly qucick on recovery... I just added the bullet proof thumb safety and bullet proof bevertail grip safty (totaly in the mind as the standard wilson part will never fail)...I checkered the bottom of the trigger guard cause that is functional for the shooters grip (vs all the other cosmetic checkering and grooving they offer)...I tried to keep it looking as close as possible to a "real" military 1911...I intend to run this gun very hard.

Pretty it up however you like - matter of taste...Are you going to shoot this gun or stare at it ;-).

I only which I would have had an anchore engraved on it as a I am a US navy vet - anyone know who might do that locally and not botch it up?

Would this be a serious use gun, or more of a range toy? I ask cause this matters a lot. If it's the latter, do whatever you like. If it's the former though, I wouldn't go too far off the beaten path. Stick to a .45, 5" steel 1911, which is the tried and true formula. You can always get creative with the color options, sights, grips, but the basic platform should be based off what works.

Humm, what are you going to use it for? Do you like shorties like the commander or officers size? I know you dont want a CQB b/c you have one already but the CQB is Wilson's "base gun" where everything starts. You take a basic CQB and can customize the heck out of it with all the options that are available. Case in point, I really loved the Wilson 1911 Centennial limited edition that they introduced in 2011 but did not like the rollmarks on the slide. To me it looks like a billboard and takes the eyes away from the finer lines of the 1911. What I did was start with a basic CQB and had Wilson build it up with everything included in the Centennial model except the rollmarks on the slide. I also had them install a magwell. Below are some photos. The finish is the same (high polished Turnbull blue) but the lighting, staging and photo processing are a world apart.

Here is what I am talking about...

Original Centennial edition Wilson Combat...

1911-1.jpg

100th-0021.jpg

My Wilson CQB...

CQB1.jpg

CQB2.jpg

Thanks for the comparisons!

Nice one you got there..

Get the Tactical Elite (comes with many extras). It has the bull barrel that suppose to be amazingly qucick on recovery... I just added the bullet proof thumb safety and bullet proof bevertail grip safty (totaly in the mind as the standard wilson part will never fail)...I checkered the bottom of the trigger guard cause that is functional for the shooters grip (vs all the other cosmetic checkering and grooving they offer)...I tried to keep it looking as close as possible to a "real" military 1911...I intend to run this gun very hard.

Pretty it up however you like - matter of taste...Are you going to shoot this gun or stare at it ;-).

I only which I would have had an anchore engraved on it as a I am a US navy vet - anyone know who might do that locally and not botch it up?

Tactical elite and tactical supergrade are 2 on my narrow it down list. Prob gonna shoot it to break it in, then cuddle with it.

Get some kind of CCO build done. Officers short grip frame with a commander length slide. Black frame, color case hardened slide. 10-8 rear combat sight, gold dot front. All the controls in brushed stainless. Get the concealed carry hammer and beavertail. Of course all barstock internals. Some black buffalo horn grips... done.

C

We think alot alike Chris

Would this be a serious use gun, or more of a range toy? I ask cause this matters a lot. If it's the latter, do whatever you like. If it's the former though, I wouldn't go too far off the beaten path. Stick to a .45, 5" steel 1911, which is the tried and true formula. You can always get creative with the color options, sights, grips, but the basic platform should be based off what works.

My HK's are my go to battle serious use pistols!

I am pretty sure doing a full size.

Confused about Wilson Reps saying that the CQB's are made in one part of their facility, and the Supergrades another part. The CQB guys dont touch the Supergrades ever, but the the Supergrade guys help out here and there with the CQB's. So I guess I cant make a customize a CQB into a supergrade..

Confused about Wilson Reps saying that the CQB's are made in one part of their facility, and the Supergrades another part. The CQB guys dont touch the Supergrades ever, but the the Supergrade guys help out here and there with the CQB's. So I guess I cant make a customize a CQB into a supergrade..

Scott at Wilson - who was very open and honest - said the supergrades were more or less the same just a little more TLC...(The wilson video says the most experience smiths build the supergrade)....So Scott didn't try to push it on me...I couldn't justify the supergrade option because it was a totally "undifined" thing really. And believe me I was looking to throw $$$ at this pistol (IF) I could justify it either by: Accuracy, reliability, ergonomics...Supergrade didn't make the cut for me....

Interesting side note about Scott, a few weeks ago he either got fired or walked out...Maybe cause he was "too" honest.

Dont quote me on this but I think each Supergrade is hand made by one or two master gunsmiths at Wilson Combat whereas the CQB is partially hand fitted and partially machine fitted by the other gunsmiths at WC. The master gunsmiths can help out the other guys when they need assistance on something but it would rare to happen the other way around.

The thing that bugs me is that if someone is going to pay $5K to $6K for a Supergrade and wait two years to get it then why not get a true custom gun from a famous world class gunsmith instead? For instance, Jason Burton from Heirloom Precision is taking orders on full house builds. You supply the base gun and he charges about $5K for the build. His wait right now is 14 months. You get to talk to Jason on the phone and tell him exactly how you want your gun made. He will email with pictures and call you on the phone to give you progress reports on your build. Its a much more personal process and you get more say on the build then you ever would w/ a Wilson Supergrade for the same amount of money and less time.

Scott at Wilson - who was very open and honest - said the supergrades were more or less the same just a little more TLC...(The wilson video says the most experience smiths build the supergrade)....So Scott didn't try to push it on me...I couldn't justify the supergrade option because it was a totally "undifined" thing really. And believe me I was looking to throw $$$ at this pistol (IF) I could justify it either by: Accuracy, reliability, ergonomics...Supergrade didn't make the cut for me....

Interesting side note about Scott, a few weeks ago he either got fired or walked out...Maybe cause he was "too" honest.

They fired a bunch of people on their sales staff last month. They say the reason was they were slow getting orders out or messing up orders so they were not living up to Wilson's quality standards. Who knows what the real reason is but they did a major shakeup.

Dont quote me on this but I think each Supergrade is hand made by one or two master gunsmiths at Wilson Combat whereas the CQB is partially hand fitted and partially machine fitted by the other gunsmiths at WC. The master gunsmiths can help out the other guys when they need assistance on something but it would rare to happen the other way around.

The thing that bugs me is that if someone is going to pay $5K to $6K for a Supergrade and wait two years to get it then why not get a true custom gun from a famous world class gunsmith instead? For instance, Jason Burton from Heirloom Precision is taking orders on full house builds. You supply the base gun and he charges about $5K for the build. His wait right now is 14 months. You get to talk to Jason on the phone and tell him exactly how you want your gun made. He will email with pictures and call you on the phone to give you progress reports on your build. Its a much more personal process and you get more say on the build then you ever would w/ a Wilson Supergrade for the same amount of money and less time.

This is really interesting. Something I migght be interested is...Can you tell me any more on:

1) What do you mean by a base gun? For example, can I send him a Sig 1911 I bought new for 1,000? (good gun not a great gun).

2) What kind of things does he do for 5K$.

3) Who is Jason Burton anyway?

Thanks,

They fired a bunch of people on their sales staff last month. They say the reason was they were slow getting orders out or messing up orders so they were not living up to Wilson's quality standards. Who knows what the real reason is but they did a major shakeup.

That sounds fishy...Scott was top notch with custome relations with me anyway...Guess he got cut..Probabable on the list cause he didn't "up-sell" enough :-)...Firing sales people with all the buying panic right now is strange indeed.

I have read that alot.

I have insomnia, so I will be checking out other routes also. I just do not know too many custom builders. Topher sent me a link, and they were nice, but the one I loved was over $10000! After the storm, I may have to raise my house, so cant spend that much!

www.rodgerspistolsmithing.com

http://www.chamberscustom.com/

www.durningdefensecustomsllc.com

http://www.Warnerpistols.com/

http://1911doctor.com/

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/

Alchemy is awesome. I sent them my slide and had it back in 2 weeks. Former Springfield/Baer guys. Joe Chambers... I bought a trigger from him. Maybe next lifetime. I got my kit from Fusion.

C