Chip

Moving from Hunterdon to Union, how does this work license-wise?

Currently living in Hunterdon county, moving in 1 month to Union. I have a FID and two licensed and legal handguns. How do I go about getting a new FID? Obviously I need to go to the local PD in the town I'm moving to, but timing-wise, how does this work? Technically my address does not change until I close on the new house, so I can't apply until then. I know the paperwork takes months to go through, so am I in legal limbo until I get the new card?

First thing's first.... "Your dog ate your FID or its was lost in the move" Do you understand?

Next get your address on your Driver's permit changed to your new home, apply as usual, don't forget to add some P2P's and .......wait.

You are correct in that you wil need an address change on your FID and yes that can take anywhere from several weeks (rarely) to 6 or 7 months or longer depending on your PD.

You don't need the FID to own the guns only to purchase new long guns and pistol caliber ammo. And even with that all you need is a NJ DL and the FID to have matching addresses.

So, one suggestion would be to keep yout current card but apply for a duplicate card/change of address and just don't change your address on your license until your FID comes through.

Many PD will confiscate your old card while you wait for your new card. This makes you unable to legally purchase handgun ammo in New Jersey. Many of the bigger stores insist on the FID for rifle/shotgun ammo purchases as well. I would consider temporarily "misplacing" your FID when you apply for a new one.

Many PD will confiscate your old card while you wait for your new card. This makes you unable to legally purchase handgun ammo in New Jersey. Many of the bigger stores insist on the FID for rifle/shotgun ammo purchases as well. I would consider temporarily "misplacing" your FID when you apply for a new one.

NJSP actually told me to hold onto mine, not that it was any good having a different address than my DL.

NJSP actually told me to hold onto mine, not that it was any good having a different address than my DL.

You may not be able to purchase a firearm but at the very least buy ammo.....not to mention it counts as 4 points when renewing your drivers permit.so not totally useless.

I do all my shooting in PA, so not being able to buy ammo in NJ for a few months won't be a problem. I'm mostly just concerned with keeping everything as legal as possible. My current FID took 9 friggin months through the state PD, and I'm just worried about being "without papers" for that long.

Actually, once I move I'll probably start looking for some place closer to shoot. I hear there's a nice private club in oldbridge.

I am so sorry to hear that you lost your wallet which contained BOTH your FID and your drivers license. I don't think it will cost you much to get a replacement drivers license. If by chance the movers find your wallet well I guess both documents would still have the same address on them ;)