chunger

2nd Handgun Application

Hi all. Both of my wife's handgun permits have expired (90 days), and I was wondering what forms will she need to get them current, or does she have to start all over again. Below are the links to the NJ State Police where you get the forms...can someone confirm which form we'll need to fillout again? Sorry, but it's been quite sometime since I bought a gun in NJ...

http://www.njsp.org/info/forms.html

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Bill.

Check immediately with your township.Some towns will extend to 180 days from the date it was signed by the CLEO after within reason but most will have you start the process over again.

It depends on your town. Some want you to wait till they expire, some want you to come in the day they expire and others will extend them before that. I was lucky in that my town just extended them the day I got them for the legal max of 180 days.

How long ago did they expire? The reason I ask is that my PD will not extend them until they expire. But I can't tell you how long past expiration they still renew them.

Worst case scenario, she will have to go through the whole process again. If that's the case, it is best to stop by the PD and pickup an application.

Take the permits she has back to the issuing authority (NJSP barracks or your local PD headquarters) and request that they be renewed. There are no additional forms required.

Renewal is entirely at the discretion of the issuing authority. If they choose not to (for whatever reason) then she'll have to apply for new permits.

The total possible valid time for a handgun permit is 180 days from the original date of issue.

Go to the PD and ask for an extension. It depends on your town and who you know. The secratary told me "If you run out of time just come back and we will put the extension on for you..." that simple for me. Hopefully it is that easy for you.

Thanks for the inputs, but unfortunately, she seems to be quite late without making the purchases. The issue date on the permit was 5/22/12, which would expire Aug/22....based on everyone's response, there's no harm in bringing the permits back to my local PD, Nutley. If not, looks like we'll have to go through the darn app process again. Bill

Thanks for the inputs, but unfortunately, she seems to be quite late without making the purchases. The issue date on the permit was 5/22/12, which would expire Aug/22....based on everyone's response, there's no harm in bringing the permits back to my local PD, Nutley. If not, looks like we'll have to go through the darn app process again. Bill

....Sir that's not only expired ...that's ancient history.

Good Luck.