iRescue

Something to think about

"A principal source of errors and injustice are false ideas of utility. For example: that legislator has false ideas of utility who considers particular more than general conveniencies, who had rather command the sentiments of mankind than excite them, who dares say to reason, 'Be thou a slave;' who would sacrifice a thousand real advantages to the fear of an imaginary or trifling inconvenience; who would deprive men of the use of fire for fear of their being burnt, and of water for fear of their being drowned; and who knows of no means of preventing evil but by destroying it.

The laws of this nature are those which forbid to wear arms, disarming those only who are not disposed to commit the crime which the laws mean to prevent. Can it be supposed, that those who have the courage to violate the most sacred laws of humanity, and the most important of the code, will respect the less considerable and arbitrary injunctions, the violation of which is so easy, and of so little comparative importance? Does not the execution of this law deprive the subject of that personal liberty, so dear to mankind and to the wise legislator? and does it not subject the innocent to all the disagreeable circumstances that should only fall on the guilty? It certainly makes the situation of the assaulted worse, and of the assailants better, and rather encourages than prevents murder, as it requires less courage to attack unarmed than armed persons." - Cesare Beccaria's Essay on Crimes and Punishments. It appears in Jefferson's legal commonplace book (translation 1809) Source

EDIT TO BRING POST IN ACCORDANCE WITH FORUM RULES: I think its pretty interesting that those that founded this country frequently addressed the issue of civilian disarmament and the hazards it poses to the people. Its sort of like they saw these attacks on our rights coming. Those who attack the second amendment with gun control measures frequently say that their proposals won't infringe on the 2A, and then they make their appeal that hunters don't need X amount of bullets or "assault weapons," etc etc.

2. No posting of random news articles without at least a paragraph about what made you post it or your opinion.

No one cares to see a post with a link. If anyone wants to see whats going on in the news, we will go to a news sites. NJGF is not Drudge Report. I opened the post to see why it inspired you.

Apologies - this isn't a news article, but rather something that I found while doing some research. I did add a paragraph at the end with some personal opinion on the matter and why I chose to share it. I hope that others may find the passage useful in their 2A discussions with their friends/acquaintances.

If it still does not meet forum rules - please feel free to delete the thread.