sage613

gun cleaning

Since this thread is random things now anyway...

How do you use a jag with cleaning solvent?

SOP for me is to put a patch in the patch holder eyelet thing, and dip it into a bottle of Hoppes. Attempting to do so with a jag only loses the patch in the Hoppes bottle. 

I impale a cotton patch on a brass spear-tip jag on my rod and spray some M-Pro 7 Gun Cleaner on the patch before plunging and thrusting it through the barrel. That way I pick up most of the residue, more so than if the patch was dry. (I know that sounds like a rather dramatically muscle-flexing process....but if works for me).

I hate to bring this thread back, but it reminded me of watching my Dad clean his M1 Garand when I was a kid. All he used was a piece of string, an old tee shirt, he would rip into strips to pull threw the barrel, a tooth brush, lighter fluid,Vaseline and 3 in One oil. Said it was all they had sometimes when he was in the Corps. during WW2! Except for the 3 in One oil. He said they would pull the dipstick on a jeep or something (tank?) for oil. 

Ya know, to the best of my recollection, he never did fire that rifle. Just pulled it out once a year to clean it. I think it was usually after watching an episode of Victory at Sea on a Sunday afternoon.