Respect2A

Gun shop that sold to mother of Newtown shooter loses license

I'd bet that many FFL's have enough evidence of "negligence" and "misconduct" to lose their license. It's human nature, mistakes will be made and people will become complacent/careless over time. There's not enough information in this story to determine if it was directly related to the Newtown shooting. There's not even a confirmation that the weapon this shop sold to Lanza's mother was used in the shooting.

My expectation is that all FFL's will be under extreme scrutiny in the coming months/years. Particularly in the northeast, Chicagoland and Kalifornia. The anti-gun powers that be have to do everything they can with the momentum at hand. There are lots of ways to enact defacto gun bans without actually having to pass any laws. Reducing access to firearms by cutting the number of FFL's in business would be a pretty effective one. Especially if FTF transactions are prohibited.

Even that place that has the TV show, Red Jacket (I believe) lost their FFL license and the owner due to unaccounted for missing guns and they had to hire someone with an FFL to be the license holder. They are in the national spot light, brand guns on behalf of companies like Ruger and still had paperwork issues so if they government looks they can find problems with any business because no one is perfect and the paperwork required to run a business is so cumbersome and sometimes complex as to invite errors.

Even that place that has the TV show, Red Jacket (I believe) lost their FFL license and the owner due to unaccounted for missing guns and they had to hire someone with an FFL to be the license holder. They are in the national spot light, brand guns on behalf of companies like Ruger and still had paperwork issues so if they government looks they can find problems with any business because no one is perfect and the paperwork required to run a business is so cumbersome and sometimes complex as to invite errors.

Also keep in mind, electronic book keeping of a lot of stuf for BATFE has only recently become allowed. Filling things out manually and storing them on paper offers upa lot more opportunities for error and destruction than electronic forms with proper back ups.