Sign in to follow this  
302w

I think my brand new (to me) barrel is toast...

I just picked up a Colt USGI M16A1 barrel and I think it's toast. The little notch on the barrel that fits into the cutout on the upper to center it appears to be broken off. It actually looks like a little stud or screw that was pressed or threaded into the barrel and snapped. Regardless of what it is/was, I'm pretty sure it needs to be there. Anyone ever have this happen before? any remedies to this situation? I am sure that I could have the barrel centered and then torque down the barrel nut, but it doesn't seem like the "right" way.

I found out it is a barrel indexing pin. ADCO machine can do it for me, but it is going to cost $25 which isn't terrible. I have the option to drill it out myself and replace it, which I will pass on. Who's a compitent gunsmith in north Jersey that doesn't rob you on pricing?

I found out it is a barrel indexing pin. ADCO machine can do it for me, but it is going to cost $25 which isn't terrible. I have the option to drill it out myself and replace it, which I will pass on. Who's a compitent gunsmith in north Jersey that doesn't rob you on pricing?

Take the $25 option. It's a bargain. Is any of it sticking out? Can it be pulled out and replaced?

A word of caution:

Have a competent smith check the headspace on that barrel before you fire live ammo.

The index pin is located on the barrel extension which is threaded onto the rear of the barrel.

Not quite "where there's smoke, there's fire"

More like: a broken index pin may be a sign of bigger issues and possible mishandling or abuse by the former owner.

Better to be safe than sorry/blind/dead (take your pick)

(It would also be good to scope the chamber to see how badly eroded the start of the rifling is)