After Corzine signed OGaM into law, he announced a committee would gather, and suggest exemptions, and ways to streamline things. I recall one of the suggestions was a Photo based FID card, similar to a driver's license, which people could apply for, and this new card would replace the need for P2P forms.

Anybody remember what happened to this?

Would this be part of the idea currently being discussed to upgrade our FID cards?

?????

Photo based FID card makes sense to me. The fingerprint on the card seems pretty useless, a picture in that spot would be much more useful. That being said, everyone having to reapply for a new picture FiD card would be a nightmare in terms of the logistics of actually getting it done in this state.

DMV already issues non-driver ID cards. The local PD could do the background checks and send you over to DMV for the card.

The current FPID cards date to 1966, with the associated 1966 technology, including the detective banging out the card on a manual typewriter. Everything since has just been piled on top of the original requirements. They could rewrite the regulations and make the process much more efficient and easier on the local PD if they wanted to. (I'm actually hopeful about this, realizing I'm likely to be disappointed. It's New Jersey, after all!)

Seems kind of like a waste. Since for all practical purposes everyone that has an FID also has a photo on their drivers license just require you present both. For the tiny number that don't have drivers licenses have them get a DMV photo ID card. Why create an entirely new process - just more government waste.

if the photo ID replaces the requirement for a P2P, I am all for it. Yes it will cause a logistical nightmare for the local PD, but if done right, maybe in waves by name or address, or what ever, it should be managable.

The whole thing is pointless. We all know currently you have to have matching FID and DL. So now it's to hard to match your DL to your face. If the system did switch over I still never see us getting away from permits. That would make way to much sense and we live in a senseless state. Sadly the idiocy that exists in this state will not be going away anytime soon. Remember it all comes down to control and money.