Sign in to follow this  
BlackOps Badger

Good luck tomorrow!

Surprised there hasn't already been a thread about this yet. Good luck to everyone that got an A week Turkey Permit. I'll be out there with my Dad. Hopefully, by 2:00 pm I'll be home and upoading pics of a long beard on here. Good luck everyone. Be safe out there.

No orange for turkey. That's a good way to get caught by them birds. I do however keep orange incase someone walks up on me.

O really? I thought all hunters wore orange, IDK. I was just trying to say good luck and be safe, but you already said that exact thing and I didn't want to be redundant. Lol I'll try again.

Good luck everyone and don't Dick Cheney your hunting buddy. :hunter:

Turkey hunting can be pretty exhilarating. Good luck!

Some states have gone to fluorescent blaze orange in some situations for turkey hunting. There are more accidental shootings in Pennsylvania during turkey season than any other hunting season in the state. However, it's gotten much better over the years through education. Chances of a fatality are lower due to the types of firearms used (why many states don't allow anything larger than #4 birdshot during the shotgun season.) Deer season can still be more deadly in Pennsy.

• In New York, you must wear some form of clothing with fluorescent blaze orange whenever traveling to or from your hunting spot. You may remove the blaze orange when stationary, although they recommend you display it close by on a stationary object.
  • In Pennsylvania, during fall turkey season you must wear a fluorescent blaze orange hat of 100 sq. in. whenever moving. You can remove the hat when stationary for calling. (When the fall season overlaps with rifle season, a stationary hunter must display a fluorescent blaze orange band within 15' of their position.) If you hunt from a ground blind in either season, you must place a blaze orange band around a tree to alert others of your presence. It must 100 sq. in. in size and placed 15' from your ground blind, visible from 360 degrees.) No fluorescent orange is required during the spring season.
  • In New Jersey, blaze orange is not required in spring or fall turkey seasons.

My favorite line from the NYDEC compendium; "When calling, sit still with your back against a big tree, to hide you from turkeys and stalkers."

Turkey_zps10bc67dd.jpg

How a hunter dressed in camo garb can look like this to some hyperventilating hunter always puzzles me whenever I read/hear about an accidental shooting.

Good luck, to anyone hunting for some gobblers. I've always wanted to give Turkey Hunting a try, but have no idea where in NJ to go hunting for them. I did see a handful while hunting deer one day back in the late fall while up in my treestand, but they were small ones scratching around in the woods looking for food. Never saw them again after that day.

Calling spring turkey is awesome. A friend and I each got one on the same day. It helps to go scouting before the season starts. Go early in the morning and bring a basic box call. Look for scratchings and listen for them. We used to hunt Wawayanda State Park and a few places in Vernon. They have amazing eyesight and can fly quite fast.

Well, today sucked. It seems like all of the turkeys that were around just up and disappeared. Don't know what happened. We started off in the morning near a cornfield that has always had a ton of turkey on it. We heard no gobbling when the sun started to come up. There were geese honkin all over the place and we were sure they would have shock gobbled a few times, but we heard nothing. We moved up the high line towards the cornfield and found nothing. Not even a peep out of the birds. It was cold and fairly windy, so we think they just weren't too active.

We started to move away from the cornfield to try a new spot and we spotted a gobbler strutting down the high line about 600 yards away. We started yelping at him, and he gobbled back, so we thought we were in business. He was across a main road and disappeared. We think he got scared by some trash trucks. Tried another spot a few hours later and made some calls from a high line. Had four jakes and a hen pop out if the woods. Tried getting them to come in, but to no avail. Noon came and we were screwed. Goin back out Wednesday. Weather should be nicer, so I'm hopin to get one then.