tuktuk

NJ National Guard

any members here are NGs?

why did u choose NG? is it still worth it ?

do u think it can work out for the 34 year old guy with 2 lil kids? in reality how long will I be absent initially ...

I always wanted to work for immigration or customs and I guess the goal is to use NG as a stepping stone ...

The cut of is 35 years old so if your more then half way there you better hurry, you will do the standard Army 10 week boot camp and you maybe deployed over seas on standard tours like all other military. Too many people join the NG, Coast guard, and Reserves just for the check but forget it's apart of the Armed forces and they are called upon like all other branches. Boot camp at 34 years of age is doable if you are in good shape but at 34 are you willing to have a guy that can be 6 or 7 years younger yelling in your face while you stand around in your underwear with 18 year old kids from all over the country? These are the questions you need to ask yourself.

I think it's a great thing if you really want to serve and get a better life out of it but think about it long and hard.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Considering your location I would contact the NY ANG. The cutoff age used to be 40 for the ANG. I'm not sure if that still is in effect. Contact a recruiter for the full details. Depending on what you want and what you qualify for will vary your time away from home considerably. You can be looking at considerable ass pain with a long commute or even a temporary move depending on your career field and training requirements. Start running!

Customs and Immigration are pretty much rolled into one since DHS was formed. If you don't have a LE background (doing investigations) virtually all gun carrying jobs require a 4 year degree. I retired as a Federal LEO and I can't see how the National Guard could really be used as a stepping stone.

I also had an Army career that started with active duty in 1967 (plus some other AD short tours over the years) and then the Guard and Reserve ending with retirement in 2009. The biggest difficulty I see for you is family finances when you're gone for initial entry training and any activation.

Military background is enough to go into almost any branch of law enforcement No college needed. I took the civil service test for the hell, scored well, but did not move on any of the invitations I got. Unfortunately, the initial pay cut was too much to take. But the guard could be a stepping stone. Being you are 34 though, you are at the cut off age already for most law enforcement agencies.

hohestly I wasn't even thinking about the LE part of it (as in having arresting powers, side arm, etc)

just as an immigration officer or customs officer .... more like a pencil pusher type of the job :) ....

I'm always in 95%-99% of candidates but veterans and active/reserve duty go 1st by law so.....

this is what got me thinking ...

am I looking at it wrong ?

NJ national guard frequently get deployed to bridges and tunnels. This is not a combat deployedment and the tax benefits are not part of a stateside deployment.

Condsider that. You could be called to stand in Penn Station at teh pay rate of a private. Would that help your current career or financial situation?