DevsAdvocate

Does anyone own a trijicon accupoint 1-4x24 or an elcan specterdr 1-4x?

What are your thoughts on them?

I'm looking at both these optics and would like to get a hands on feel for them.

Don't really need to shoot with them, just want to handle them. But shooting with them would be an added bonus...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I don't own either buy have shot with the Elcan.

Did not like. It is big, heavy and expensive to do the same job as an Aimpoint and 3x mag in a FTS. It also had big time zeroing issues when changing magnification.

Others that I know and trust have used the extensively and have warned to avoid at all costs if possible.

I have heard good things about the Accupoint but haven't ever had a chance to play with one.

Tagging this thread so I can write a proper response when my head clears... I have a specter 1-4x, and if you want to get hands on - let me know.

Oh boy, all the way down in Camden County eh? So... what are your thoughts on the 1-4x? What do you use it on?

So the SpecterDR 1-4, I like mine.

PROs:

The illum dot is VERY bright in broad daylight and equal to quality stand alone RDS (CompM4, M3, T1) when compared side by side, and is brighter than a S&B Short Dot. I wish I took pics, and I may have to add that to my to-do list when things calm down.

It has a glass etched reticle, so even without illumination (or battery/electronics failure) you can still clearly see the reticle.

It has hold-over, BDC markings on the reticle, as well as range finding capabilities if the size of your target is known (or 30" human torso)

The ease/speed of switching from 1x to 4x in a single unit is unmatched

Huge FOV - while this is usually a moot point when talking about 1X optic designed for both eyes open shooting, the elcan completely removes any tube effect and when combined with the 32mm objective, what you can see THROUGH the optic (not just your non-shooting eye matching the image) is substantial.

Good glass clarity edge to edge on 1x and 4x

CONs:

Weight - it's heavy at 23oz, just under a pound and a half with the included ARMS mount. This can make some rifles feel very top heavy.

The ARMS mount. A lot of the issues with this optics come from the mount levers snapping off, issues with holding zero, etc. I believe ARMS will replace/upgrade the mount for a small fee (I'm not 100% on this)

6 MOA dot on 4x is not for precision - this really isn't a CON, but more understanding the optics purpose. Don't buy it if you want to shoot super tight groups at 300 yards...

Eye placement/location matters - while the eye relief is fairly generous at around 2+", you still need to have solid and consistent cheek weld to get fast acquistion.

Mixed reports on durability

Summary:

On the SCAR 17 it balances very well, and compliments the rifle in matching capabilites. I've shot it while mounted to an LMT MWS, and a SR-25 and it performed well on all. It felt the most top heavy on the Knights. When compared to a S&B Short Dot, I prefer the 1-4 switch lever instead of dialing up to 4x. This is completely a personal choice, as I don't seem to use 1.5x, 2x, or 3x anyway. I'm either shooting close (1x) or far (4x). I either want target ID, or I don't. I have not had any loss of zero issues, but I also zero'd at 4x at 100 yards (as recommended). I have heard there can be a shift when changing magnification if you zero'd at 1x. This is not confirmed personally. If I were to replace it, it would be with an ACOG TA11, with a micro rds (or T1) at the 1 o'clock position. However to that point - overall cost, weight, and capability are very close.

There is no Jack-of-all-trade-no-comprise-do-all optic, otherwise everyone would have it :) For me the elcan gets close enough, understanding it's faults (heavy, fairly expensive and people have had issues with them). But as a point of reference my go-to rifle has a CompM4....

I haven't had significant time behind an Accupoint to really give any input, or make comparisons - sorry. Any other questions let me know.

Oh wow, very good write-up and in line with what I read across the interwebs.

I ended up going with the SWFA SS 1-6X HD, it was definitely a bit cheaper than the Elcan 1-4x, and weight is comparable even with the Bobro mount. I like the ability to go to 6X though, and the reticle has gotten great reviews with the donut for CQB and the mil-dot for 6x. FOV may be something to desire, but like you said, you're shooting both eyes open at 1x anyways. At 6x, its tough to compare to 4x... but if you're shooting a .308, you want the eyes to see out far enough.

All in all, I'm looking forward to trying out the SWFA. Also, the amount I spent on it allowed me to take my savings and put them towards a SUPER SCAR trigger and an SSA trigger for my primary AR-15. I have enough extra for more SCAR17 mags too. All of which are important to run this system.

Worst comes to worse, I'll buy a SpecterDR in the future. But from what I've heard from reviews, SWFAs are excellent optics with good quality, warranty, and CS and the 1-6X seems to meet my needs on paper. We'll see how it works in practice.

I had a SWFA SS 10x, and a SWFA SS 1-4x in the past. Very good scopes for price point. A word on the Bobro mount (if it is the same one they are pairing with the SS scopes), be very mindful about racking the charging handle on the 17 if you value your knuckles. You can reverse the mount, or move the charging handle to the right side of the rifle, but it is NOT advised to keep it as is. OUCH!

ETA: the G trigger is the best upgrade HANDS DOWN for the 17. It's just retard expensive.

One more point on the Elcan is that many dont read the manual and understand how to zero it. This can lead to a shift when switching from 1 to 4 as opposed to if you did it correctly.

Yepp! This despite the fact they actually printed the zero-ing instructions on the side of the thing.