tkfal86

Barrel Question

Hey guys, I'm in the middle of an AR build and have been debating between a few barrels that are actually in stock, a 16" spikes tactical mid-length gas, or an 18" daniel defense chf with mid-length same twist of 1:7; does the extra 2 inches make it worth it (that's what she said) and what about cold hammer forging...worth it or not? The Daniel Defense is about $280 while the Spikes is $209. Trying to save a little money on the build but don't want to skimp out in the wrong places. Thanks!

I wouldn't skimp on the barrel. Get the best you can afford. 18 inch will give you more muzzle velocity than the 16. Mid length gas system would have a softer recoil pulse than a carbine but slightly more than a full rifle length. That said, the mid length is a great compromise. I'm also currently looking at the Daniel Defense barrel for a build. I have some bids out on a shilen and white oaks so waiting to see how that turns out before committing to the DD. ?And I'm looking at the 18 as I am building more of a 3-gun rifle than say a battle rifle. 

I guess I should just narrow down my question more, does the Cold Hammer Forging make a big difference or would the Spikes tactical that is not be ok? Also does anyone else have any suggestions to  a good priced barrel1:7 twist 16-18" that is actually in stock?

This is the model Spikes I was looking at. It doesn't specify that its CHF while others do.

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/st-16-m4-le-midlength-556-p-864.html

I know performance it won't really make a difference, but in terms of durability and reliability will it be night and day? I plan on it being just an all around AR, battle, range, etc. There's nothing specific I plan on doing with it, its my first AR and wanted to build one. Have had luck with most other parts in finding deals, etc. but barrel and bcg having a harder time with. I found the two i mentioned that fit what I wanted in a barrel after researching with the exception of the CHF for the Spikes. If it really makes that big of a difference then I'll just go with the Daniel Defense for $280 but was hoping to be able to spend $200 and save that $80 for other smaller miscellaneous parts.

I wouldn't skimp on the barrel. Get the best you can afford. 18 inch will give you more muzzle velocity than the 16. Mid length gas system would have a softer recoil pulse than a carbine but slightly more than a full rifle length. That said, the mid length is a great compromise. I'm also currently looking at the Daniel Defense barrel for a build. I have some bids out on a shilen and white oaks so waiting to see how that turns out before committing to the DD. ?And I'm looking at the 18 as I am building more of a 3-gun rifle than say a battle rifle. 

BZZT, wrong (dont' feel bad, I used to think that too)

It is way more variable than simple barrel length. Chamber comes into it a LOT more than I ever expected. I actually have a 16"  mid length barrel with a .223 wylde chamber that gets slightly higher velocities than an 18" rifle length gas system 18" barrel with a 5.56 chamber. As far as recoil, gas system length is relative to barrel length. A mid length gas system on a 16" barrel is nice and pretty reliable. It move gas pressure at the port and dwell time closer to the original design of the 20" system. It's not the same, but it is closer. On an 18" barrel, a mid length gas system moves it back towards the dwell time of a carbine length gas system. A rifle length system cuts it below that of the original 20" barrel design and can introduce reliability issues if the gas port isn't sized right. IMO based on my experience, Noveske is probably right with their "intermediate" length gas being the best choice for an 18". Rainier arms also uses that on some of their barrels. Getting spare tubes though can be a pain. 

My take is that if you aren't building a really light gun, mid length will probably work out nicely as a heavier barrel will soak up most of the jarring feeling of shoving the BCG around harder. IMO any SPR profile 18" would fall in that category, especially if not fluted. 

If you are trying to get it as mellow as possible, rifle length gas is the way to go. 

Cold hammer forging will toughen the metal a bit. But in my experience, it comes at the price of accuracy over the button rifled barrels. I've asked people who know more than I do if this was hallucination on my part or sample bias. Their answer, cooked down was basically that anything that is cut and threaded for a muzzle device is usually done so after being rifled, and that opens up the bore at the muzzle, and that in their experience it tends ot be worse with CHF barrels as a whole. That with mil-spec barrels, you aren't likey going to get a sub MOA barrel, but that you ahve more chance of getting one that will hold MOA or close to it than we should have any right to expect, and that with a button rifled barrel the MOA barrels are lsightly closer ot the center of the bell curve than the CHF ones. 

durability wise, if you aren't going full auto or bump firing or doing mag dumps for fun, there's probably no discernible difference.