SkiingGunMonkey

NICS check and 30 day pistol limit

I was looking for some clarification reading several of the other threads in this forum it seems that a NICS check CAN be started before the 30 day limit from your previous pistol purchase is up so long as you take possession of said pistol after the 30 day pistol purchase limit, but before the 30 day runs out on your NICS being valid.

Can someone confirm this?

Chalking this up to Gun shop talk, but I heard no. You cannot start new nics until 31st day after you took delivery of previous pistol. Again, it was just gun shop talk, so who knows...

I'd say call NJSP Firearms Unit.

I believe that many FFLs are recording the purchase date on the P2P as the day of the actual transfer -- the day you legally take the handgun home.

There's at least one FFL on the board that treats the NICS check as a separate incident to the "Purchase Date" since the NICS approval is good for 30 days. That being said, he's allowing the NICS check to be faxed before the next OGAM eligibility date. In the event that the approval miraculously comes in much sooner, the FFL will not allow the final transfer to occur until the 30 days for OGAM have passed.

I think there are some FFLs that are recording the purchase date as the transfer date but won't allow the NICS request to be processed until the 30 days have passed. This, of course, compounds the waiting time for the customer and creates a bigger backlog for the FFL.

Hopefully some FFLs will chime in and give us their opinion.

2C:5-1 A person is guilty of an attempt to commit a crime if, acting with the kind of culpability otherwise required for commission of the crime, he purposely engages in conduct which would constitute the crime if the attendant circumstances were as a reasonable person would believe them to be.

Its one gun a month not one nics check a month, i myself put though a nics check a week after i got a pistol, 3 weeks later when nics came through i took possession and didnt loose anytime, i think if you know what you want to buy its the smart thing to do to play the game in your favor