Sign in to follow this  
sof

Personality test esp for the young and ...

This can be applied to many, many of the threads that appear over and over on the forum. A lot of them boil down to whether of not to risk being hassled regardless of being within the letter of the law (as in legal to carry loaded mags, legal to stop at a restaurant after the range, locked gun bag, answering a LEO with 'yes, there is a gun in the car', etc., etc., etc. It often boils down acceptable risk regardless of right or wrong, doesn't it? Yeah, NJ and lots of other places is a pain at times, and you SHOULD be fine when you are legal, but is it worth it to you to go through the process if you are unlucky enough to get an officer who, for whatever reason, gets you into the bigger system with an incorrect arrest, confiscation or other.

Many years ago, I lived in DC during the time of the peace demonstrations and Vietnam. Those demonstrations brought all kinds of outsiders to DC and were great hunting grounds for female companionship for those of us who lived there, and I was young and healthy. Sooo, long story short, I was rounded up on the infamous Nixon 'arrest them all weekend' for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, spent a night in jail, went through the courts several times, and ended up with an expunged arrest. Two years later, while in the Air Force and serving in Thailand which was 'in the zone' at the time, I got a letter from a legal group stating that the government had decided to contest the huge number of expungements from all those illegal arrests, and, at random, my case was one of the test cases being used. Some legal rights group needed my permission to defend me. That was over 40 years ago, and it's something I still remember as a huge pain in the ass.

So, for me regardless of the legal fine points, I side with the people on the forum who advise not calling attention to yourself and covering your butt, in all things firearms related in the present social and legal climate. What about you?

Just so I can be clear as to what you are talking about.... You believe that someone like Shawn Moore shouldn't have posted that picture of son on Facebook. That I shouldn't travel to the range with loaded magazines. People should lock up their firearms even inside of a trunk and then lock their ammo separate?

Not starting an argument but that's the way I'm reading what you wrote.

Just so I can be clear as to what you are talking about.... You believe that someone like Shawn Moore shouldn't have posted that picture of son on Facebook. That I shouldn't travel to the range with loaded magazines. People should lock up their firearms even inside of a trunk and then lock their ammo separate?

Not starting an argument but that's the way I'm reading what you wrote.

You are reading it wrong. I'm saying that for me, right now when I go to the range, I will try not to give anyone the excuse to hassle me. For me.

Since you asked, I did unload my mags for transport because they are in the same bag, (different compartment) as my pistol. I do carry them locked in the truck and my ammo is in a seperate compartment of my same bag as the pistol is in to make it more difficult for a judge to reinterpert the law against me if it came to that.

As for Shawn Moore, he had every right to post that pic, what did that get him?

I prefer to avoid things that might bring unwanted attention to myself...so long that avoiding those things doesn't require me to go out my way. Every state that I can and do carry in, I can both open and conceal carry. I usually conceal...just because I don't feel like dealing with any potential hassle from some hoplophobe or an overzealous police officer. 

I do however absolutely support those that are vocal or openly demonstrate, or do anything else that is legal or in support of their rights, despite it drawing attention, being a potential hassle, even though I may not do the same. 

It is really a matter of both principle and how far you wish to take things. How much of a risk you are willing to take. How much you can put up with. 

For me, I don't wish to change my actions or behaviors to tailor to someone else when those actions and behaviors are both legal and not doing anything to actually affect those people. That is where I draw the line.