Mikeythumbs

Long range hunting

I watch some of tfe outdoor shows on tv and a few of them are about shooting game at long ranges. I personally feel that it is not a responsible thing to show. Most average hunter just can not make a 400 yard shot let alone the 600-1200 yard shots you see these guys take. I was just wondering what everyone else thought. I just feel that any ethical hunter should really pass on those shots and instead learn better stalking skills.

If you train to shoot at those distances with the proper equipment than I don't have anything against it.  Its not for me though.  I like to be up close to the game that's why I really love bow hunting, much more of a challenge.

Ok big horn I can see they are tough. Elk though are hunted with bows so there has to be a way to get closer. I don't begrudge if you can make the shot. I just think some guys overestimate their ability and go well I saw the guy on tv do it I can do it

In my opinion its not hunting its sniping. If you cant sneak close enough to the animal to make a shot at 200 yards or less then the animal won that day. that's just me though. I will admit though I have been lost in youtube world more than once watching videos of the very impressive shots some of the guys make.

If you're stalking Elk or Big Horn Sheep you're not going to get any closer.

Not necessarily true.  Most of those television shows make you think that since these guys are taking far shots at the game, but just take a look at the Pope and Young record book or any bow hunting forum.  Many elk and sheep have been taken with a stick string at close distances so it is possible.  Is it more difficult and sometimes are you unsuccessful?  Absolutely, but that's bow hunting.

In short...those long shots are lazy hunting.

They require more shooting skill....but less hunting skill.

+1000. 

Are you a hunter or a shooter?  The only exception to this would be if you really needed to eat and the shot was necessary,  but this is highly unlikely here as we're talking about the hobby. 

By FAR,  my most memorable moments in the field have been when I've gotten close, really close.  That's when I've felt like I worked for something and earned it.  The trophy is just the reminder of the stalk.

PS:  Want to clarify -- I am not referring to stuff like prairie dog hunting which indeed is a long range endeavor and mainly an exercise in removing pests.

+1000. 

Are you a hunter or a shooter?  The only exception to this would be if you really needed to eat and the shot was necessary,  but this is highly unlikely here as we're talking about the hobby. 

By FAR,  my most memorable moments in the field have been when I've gotten close, really close.  That's when I've felt like I worked for something and earned it.  The trophy is just the reminder of the stalk.

I swear I thought my last bow harvest was going to charge me. I was on foot dragging a scent line and it walked right up within 15 yards of me. My heart was pounding.