Sign in to follow this  
thug the bunny

NJGF Fishing Reports

You can get more details and info on a fishing forum, but while you're here, why not stop by to see what's going on or post up info or results of a recent fishing trip.

I'll start - I went kayak fishing in Reeds Bay last week and pulled 5 stripers out of a hole were the current makes a kind of big whirlpool. Only 1 was of keeper size. Jig heads dressed with white Gulp jerk shad. I think the cool water this spring has kept them around and active in the back bays longer than usual.

Any one been floundering yet?

Went floundering behind Brig. The super full moon had sucked all the water out of the bay at low tide, and the incoming was ripping making drifts very quick. About half way to high tide started getting some action. Lots of hits and half hook-ups but boated 4 with 1 keeper. Also had something BIG on for about 5 sec..maybe a weakie?

Was in the Duke of Fluke tournament last saturday. I caught one small fluke. My buddy caught a 19 incher. Not big enough to place. We were in the kayak division, by the way. The guy that won the Tournament brought in a 13.5 pound fluke. Absolutely incredible. Just got back from shark fishing in the Delaware Bay from shore with my buddy runnin our lines out about 200yds on his kayak. We were using tuna sticks, which ended up being a good thing. I hooked into what we believe was a BIG cow nose ray, or some other sort of ray. This sucker would not budge. Ended up fighting him for about 45 minutes and the line eventually snapped. Going out in the kayaks tomorrow to try and get some sharks.

I was able to hit some spots on the south branch today (while at work LOL) for small mouth. They were hitting on almost every cast it was not even fishing it was catching. I was using a 4 inch motor oil grub with a 3/4 oz white jig head.

Out again behind Brig for flounder. Not one hook-up because I couldn't get through the friggin croakers. Never seen em like this - almost as bad as the black sea bass infestation at the end of every summer. Caught about 12 of the little pests, and they tore up at least $15 worth of my Gulp bait. I hope all the back bays aren't like this...

Fishnut, not looking to burn spots, but where on the SB do you get smallies (like what town)?

Just north of flemington where rt31 goes over the river. And down stream from there. I am not worried about burning my small mouth spots just my trout streams.

Cool. Thanks.

Yeah that whole area N of Clinton is a great trout area. That's where we go bi-anually for 3 day trout fishing vacations.

Cool. Thanks.

Yeah that whole area N of Clinton is a great trout area. That's where we go bi-anually for 3 day trout fishing vacations.

well that is the area I fish and grew up in so if you ever want me to take you out to some of my secret spots let me know and I will take you out. I am completely addicted to ultra light spin fishing for trout.

UL spinning is what I grew up with. Just got a new Penn 'Battle' UL reel. Using 4# mono I can flick a worm on an unweighted hook a good 50ft depending on the wind. Killer for streams where bait is allowed.

Thanks for the offer, I'll PM you when we are coming up on our fall (~late October) trip...

UL spinning is what I grew up with. Just got a new Penn 'Battle' UL reel. Using 4# mono I can flick a worm on an unweighted hook a good 50ft depending on the wind. Killer for streams where bait is allowed.

Thanks for the offer, I'll PM you when we are coming up on our fall (~late October) trip...

Cool sounds good I use #4 Panther martins in Gold with a black body and usually do well. Definitely hit me up when you come up the fall season is my favorite time to trout fish.

Has anyone hit any of the party boats out of the Atlantic highlands? I will be going out on one of them Aug 13 and was just trying to get some info on how the fleet is doing and I don't trust "the fisherman" because they print all the lies that the fleet captains tell them LOL. If anyone has a hot tip on another boat I am willing to drive further south if needed

Out again behind Brig for flounder. Not one hook-up because I couldn't get through the friggin croakers. Never seen em like this - almost as bad as the black sea bass infestation at the end of every summer. Caught about 12 of the little pests, and they tore up at least $15 worth of my Gulp bait. I hope all the back bays aren't like this...

If you're talking about the Atlantic Croaker, that's a sought after good eating fish, not a pest fish. You may be catching the Sea Robin (that croaks) which is considered a pest by most fisherman, but is also a good eating fish. Same goes for the Black Sea Bass, not a pest.

If you're talking about the Atlantic Croaker, that's a sought after good eating fish, not a pest fish. You may be catching the Sea Robin (that croaks) which is considered a pest by most fisherman, but is also a good eating fish. Same goes for the Black Sea Bass, not a pest.

Oh I know what sea robins look like, and croakers. These were little 6 - 8" juvies, too much trouble to clean for that amount of meat. Same for the sea bass. I guess one man's pest is another man's fillet. But when I do occaisionally catch a larger sea bass I will keep it they are delish. Heck, I don't even keep flounders unless they are BIG. More of a C&R guy...

Yay! The weakies are back! It's been at least 4 yrs since I last caught a weakfish. Went out behind AC this weekend and caught these guys. Orange gulp jerk shad. Forgot how hard they can fight.

YUM! weakies are one of my favorites to catch and eat

Mumm striper. Nice fish. Sadly I have not made it out to the salt once this year yet:( But I will be in Belize for 10 days the beginning of 2014. Gona go for a flats grand slam Bonefish, tarpon and permit all in one day.