Sign in to follow this  
ogfarmer

BP-02 standard vs BP-02 Low profile on Saiga AK variant

Looking for opinions from anyone who owns one of these mounts on their AK variant. Before I order one.

I have been reading other peoples opinions on other sites. And feel this mount is the best mount for a sidemount on my Saiga 7.62 since it sits centered.

FYI Rifle is not converted yet.

My main question is does anyone here have the standard height and can give me some feedback on the height issues in relation to cheek weld.

I like the standard height because it allows use of iron sites but am concerned about the uncomforatble feel, and not looking to add a cheek riser.

Also does anyone have issues with the low profile with removing dust cover while mounted? From some other peoples experience they said you still can remove the dustcover while mounted.

Also if remove mount to clean rifle does it hold zero well?

I have no experience with the BP-02 (Is that kalinka?) but I'd suggest the RS mounts for sidemounts. Rock solid and work well. Many in the AK world have them and are very happy with them, and I am as well. Ultimak works well if you want to move the optic to the upper handguard.

Most sidemounts obviously have a rail so you can add a riser if you need. Me personally, I hate high-mounted optics on AK's where instead of a cheek weld, it's more of a chin weld to have to look through them. With an AK's iron sights, you have to have a pretty deep cheek weld as they sit low, so any low-mounted optic (preferably cowitness) works well because it's not much different, if at all, to your normal cheek weld. It's still comfortable.