sw41

Armed carjacking in Chatham

Just got a bulletin from Chatham police that last night someone was car jacked in Chatham Borough.  They were bumped by another car and when they stopped to inspect the  damage they were car jacked at gun point.  I know that this has happened recently on the highway near Newark and the method used sounds the same..In both incidents expensive cars were targeted.

We'll see a sharp increase in this type of crime. Bad guys know we can't protect ourselves.

=== sarcasm on ===

I am currently enrolled in the Joe Biden Academy for Self Defense (JBSD). I follow all of his advice: I have a loaded double barrel shotgun by the front door. I called the academy hotline to ask for an approved JBSD strategy. The nice lady connected me through to Uncle Joe. I could not believe my luck! Uncle Joe told me he recommends that if I was walking down the street, I could roll across the hood (or trunk) if I was bumped by a car. In this way I would not have my car stolen at gunpoint. I can't wait to update the JBSD newsletter and get it out to the other fellers.

=== sarcasm off ===

:ph34r:

Here is the bulletin:

On July 18, 2013, at approximately midnight, the Chatham Borough Police responded to a report of a carjacking at gunpoint at the intersection of Fairmount Avenue/Watchung Avenue. The victim’s car was stopped at the traffic light on Fairmount when he was bumped in the back by another car. As the drivers were inspecting the vehicles, the passenger in the second vehicle exited the vehicle and pointed a silver hand gun at the other driver. The stolen vehicle was a 2009 Maserati NJ Reg: W76-CJS. The driver and the passenger were not injured during the incident.

In the initial investigation, it is believed that the suspects followed the victims into town as they were returning home from the Jersey City/Hoboken area. Accordingly, the Chatham Borough Police Department wants to remind residents to be aware of your surroundings if you believe you are being followed or targeted for a crime please call 9-1-1 or drive directly to the nearest police station. In addition, if you are involved in an accident no matter how minor, remain in your car if it is safe to do so and call the police. If you feel that it is not safe to remain stopped keep moving to a well-lit and populated area and call the police to advise them of the accident.

If you are the victim of a robbery or carjacking cooperate with the suspect’s demands and call 9-1-1 as quickly as possible. It is important to remember that a good description of the actors and vehicles involved will help the police in their investigation. Do not risk your personal safety in an effort to try to save a piece of property that can be replaced.