mintbore

Why is every scope alignement a P.I.T.A !!

I must be doing something wrong. The last 3 installs would not get on paper no matter how much adjustment...maxxed out windage, elevation or both. I end up having to use Burris rings with the inserts (and twice that didn't give enough adjustment), or having to shim the SH*T out of it.

The bases are tight, the rings are torqued evenly...but still every install turns epic.

Any gunsmith tips?

Thanks

I like to lay the gun down stationary and set the crosshairs on an object that stands out 75 to 100 yards away. Without moving the gun, I then look through the bore to see if that object appears close to what I see through the scope under the crosshairs. It is a sanity check, and only works on firearms that you can easily view down the bore. It always gets me on paper at 50 yards.

While the bore sighter is the way to do it... that is beyond the problem he is having.........!

Wondering if we will hear back !!

Yes I know, but I believe that initial fitting is the issue. If he looks through the scope BEFORE torquing everything down he can see where he is off and move it around manually until he sees something. I'll bet it's an elevation issue. The ring heights are incorrect for the application. And if in frustration he cranked the adjusters too far, it's toast.

Without his active participation in his resolution, we may never know...

Silly question but are you sure you are using the correct diameter rings with the correct diameter scope?

Also are you matching the scope to the round being fired?

I must say that I have only twice had a scope install (on holes drilled by others) that required minor shimming.

Sometimes I do find that the selection of the mounting point is not optimal and/or off center axis. To that point check the mounting holes for proper

location for both elevation and axial location.

If you need to excessively shim for windage I bet you that the hole are off axis

Sorry for the delay...back from a business trip...Here are the combos and guns:

Mossberg 144...1" ring base combo made for this rifle. Swift 3x9940 scope

Colt AR...PEPR mount, Nikon 4x12 SF Monarch

Used bore sighter for both, thats how I found I was so off

Both off by about 16" at about 30 feet (longest I could go from the garage to the back wall)

Make sure that your bases are mounted square. Don't tighten one side then the other, for example on the PEPR mount, finger tighten each bolt and then go one turn at a time on each bolt to make sure it is evenly tighten. Are you off the paper horizontally or vertically? 

All great stuff...Thanks all! Since both are unitized mount/rings...that may be it...I'll remount using a 1/4" torque wrench

Thanks

PS- Awesome Mauser!

You can try this: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/453687/wheeler-engineering-scope-mounting-kit-1

I have one; not quite Snap-On quality, but good for amateurs, and it's a nice addition to your toolbox. Even with one-piece mounts, the torque wrench and lapping components might help.