Sign in to follow this  
Eff P

Origins of SOG

I really like SOG knives, and it kind of bums me out that not many people I know, know about SOG.  This is an awesome video that's all about SOG and its history.

SOG hosts TNP in what might be another Gold Star interview with a knife industry visionary, Spencer Frazer. If you watched my 2012 Earnie Emerson interview, then you will see this same realness and insight into a great knife company. As I have the privilegr to talk real with these industry leaders, I wish to capture these stories for posterity and fans of the brand. If like me you love SOG products, you see these 45 minutes fly by. Spencer, an Impressive Human, has the unique blend of both artistic and technical competency. And like us, his connects almost spiritually with a good knife. This was the impetus for him to re-create the amazing MAC-V SOG knife of Vietnam lore. He discusses the lean days when it was unsure the market would embrace such a cutting edge blade and the difficulty at getting it produced. Several cool guys like TNP friend and knife supplier Jeff Loffer helped him achieve his dream [!]. You will see the ORIGINAL SOG blades in Spencer's collection as we discuss this exodus from his cramped apartment in LA with his Chow Chow to the Lynwood, WA facility where we talk. You may be surprised at his involvement with the B2 bomber design as we visit (I was!). We discuss the role of key movies like Rambo and T2 in helping the tactical blade achieve greatness and 2nd Kind of Cool. I am convinced Sarah Connor as played by Linda Hamilton is my dream woman. Several key SOG models are discussed and how they broke new ground in the knife world, and like me, you will see Spencer is a believer in jimping done right! Several special knives just may emerge from this interview: a plum colored SOG Bowie special edition and a resurrected and Air Sog, another original Spencer design, with jimping, assist, deep carry clip, and improved steel. You will see even the Seki Japan knife masters saw the genius in this design; it deserves a second life. Make sure you go to SOG's facebook page and call them to help bring these projects to life. The time flies and I wrap our visit with Spencer, Chris, Nando and the whole SOG team with scenes of how TNP and SOG history intertwined...the knife that started it all./////////////////////////////A recommended retailer for SOG knives: www.cutleryshoppe.com, use code nutnfancy for free shipping.

•  

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vrqlnunzoc

Had two Sogs. Don't think they're worth the money. Had the rubber side panels deteriorate and fall off on one and both would dull too quickly. I have a Benchmark now and love it! Sturdy and stays sharp.

You should contact their customer support if you still have them.  They guarantee their products for life.

You should contact their customer support if you still have them.  They guarantee their products for life.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I still have the one that had the side panels (?) come off if I can find it. Still doesn't change the fact that they dull so quickly.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I still have the one that had the side panels (?) come off if I can find it. Still doesn't change the fact that they dull so quickly.

Dulling quickly isn't that bad if they sharpen easily. Also, are you talking about how long they hold a hair popping edge, or a working edge.