7.62fmj

6.8 vs .300blk for hd

This video convinced me to change my mind from 6.8 to 300blk for my next build. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgKjbySsAik

I've had no problems handling 7.62x39 recoil. Seems to me the biggest reason for .300blk is better stopping power than smg rounds and 5.56 plus running subsonics well. From what I've heard though, .300blk doesn't perform well at low velocity. 

I'm buying a .300 blackout shortly. My concern was ammo. I got word Friday that it won't be a problem. I'm narrowed down to 3.

Daniel defense

AAC

Cmmg

What made you go with the blk?

The nice thing about going with 300blk is that you can use the same components that you would use for a standard 223/556 upper except for the barrel. The mags will even work for both calibers, that is not the case with 6.8. The 300blk round is supposed to be a great round subsonic and suppressed in the real world!!

My next build will be a 300 upper and if I really like the round I will then build a lower for it. I really need to start reloading first!!! I have always said I wouldn't get into to many calibers and that didn't work out to well, at first it did, but not for long!

The nice thing about going with 300blk is that you can use the same components that you would use for a standard 223/556 upper except for the barrel. The mags will even work for both calibers, that is not the case with 6.8. The 300blk round is supposed to be a great round subsonic and suppressed in the real world!!

My next build will be a 300 upper and if I really like the round I will then build a lower for it. I really need to start reloading first!!! I have always said I wouldn't get into to many calibers and that didn't work out to well, at first it did, but not for long!

The interchangeable parts is what got my attention. And then I got lured in from there.

I'm doing a complete build so either way I'm buying all the parts, 5.56 or otherwise. 

The mags will even work for both calibers, that is not the case with 6.8.

The followers are different for the 6.8, but we did try my friends 6.8 with regular old .223/5.56 magazines(with .223/5.56 followers) and it functioned just fine. 

6.8 is an awesome round with hard hitting and barrier busting abilities.  I would not recommend it for hd and am inclined to stick more to the pistol calibers.

Any links to 6.8 tests through barriers? I had thought that it wasn't an issue, but if it is I'd reconsider.

The followers are different for the 6.8, but we did try my friends 6.8 with regular old .223/5.56 magazines(with .223/5.56 followers) and it functioned just fine. 

Really I never heard that! Good to know as I always like the 6.8 for a hunting round. I have never really compared the 300blk to the 6.8. but I have read the 6.8 will knock a big deer down very easy.

Any links to 6.8 tests through barriers? I had thought that it wasn't an issue, but if it is I'd reconsider.

what tests do you want as there are tons of them out there.  Go to 68forums.com but I caution you, it's a lovefest for ARP akin to the Colt Aid.  Lots of great info but those guys truly suffer from group think on the manufacturers.

Really I never heard that! Good to know as I always like the 6.8 for a hunting round. I have never really compared the 300blk to the 6.8. but I have read the 6.8 will knock a big deer down very easy.

yes you can use the same mags but it won't hold as many.

there is no comparison between these two calibers....non......also, the 6.8 is taking Elk regularly

go to 68forums.com

what tests do you want as there are tons of them out there.  Go to 68forums.com but I caution you, it's a lovefest for ARP akin to the Colt Aid.  Lots of great info but those guys truly suffer from group think on the manufacturers.

Tried to stay off the 68 to avoid the fanboys... i heard some good things about Speers tnt hp rounds.

me too but it is a good site with loads of info.  It's a shame really cause some realworld hitters left that forum due to the fanboys. 

I love the 6.8, think it's the best all around caliber for the AR and a truly modern .270 equivalent.  It's got distance, speed, power, varied bullet, barrier busting, accuracy, and now major industry support.

I like the sst 120s the best but my lwrc was a laser with the pro hunters.  On a side note, Federal did some testing for an undisclosed agency and out of a 10 inch barrel, went through 1/inch steel at 100yards.  I forgot which bullet they used but think it's the new Federal load

I have looked at the 300 but it just does nothing for me unless you are using it suppressed.  I'm not a convert yet despite some of the advantages with parts commonality.   I'd rather just use a x39 and be done with it

me too but it is a good site with loads of info.  It's a shame really cause some realworld hitters left that forum due to the fanboys. 

I love the 6.8, think it's the best all around caliber for the AR and a truly modern .270 equivalent.  It's got distance, speed, power, varied bullet, barrier busting, accuracy, and now major industry support.

I like the sst 120s the best but my lwrc was a laser with the pro hunters.  On a side note, Federal did some testing for an undisclosed agency and out of a 10 inch barrel, went through 1/inch steel at 100yards.  I forgot which bullet they used but think it's the new Federal load

I have looked at the 300 but it just does nothing for me unless you are using it suppressed.  I'm not a convert yet despite some of the advantages with parts commonality.   I'd rather just use a x39 and be done with it

Pretty much how I feel about the 300. The Peoples' Republic of NJ doesn't much like suppressors or sbr's so I don't see it being very useful. 

agree

the ammo is expensive, fps is roughly the same as the x39, not ideal for hd imho, not really a range bound platform ala the x39, and no more accurate on average than the x39 when x39 is used out of an AR platform with quality reloads like the 300. 

I just don't see it unless you've got spare parts lying around and only need a barrel plus you are already set up to reload.  Even reloading is more than what I can buy x39 for although that may have changed but don't think so

Tried to stay off the 68 to avoid the fanboys... i heard some good things about Speers tnt hp rounds.

I entertained the idea of the 6.8, and think it has a nice niche in the AR platform. But I never progressed with that thought.

I know someone who uses his regularly for whitetail in VA in an AR platform with 115 gr. bullets. I have been on the 6.8forum and read a few exploits, and the 6.8 SPC "taking elk regularly" is at best an ambitious endeavor. No one would put the 6.8 on their list as an "elk" cartridge. The dinky .243 Win. holds more powder and has better energy numbers with comparable bullets than the 6.8 SPC, and no one other than a seasoned rifleman under certain situations would pick the .243 as an elk cartridge. The same should hold true for the 6.8 SPC. It could work, but in limited situations. Comparing the 6.8 SPC to the .270 Win. is like saying the .40 Short&Weak is like its older brother, the 10MM. Just my thoughts. Any game that can weigh 800 lbs. should demand something with some oomph.

agree

the ammo is expensive, fps is roughly the same as the x39, not ideal for hd imho, not really a range bound platform ala the x39, and no more accurate on average than the x39 when x39 is used out of an AR platform with quality reloads like the 300. 

I just don't see it unless you've got spare parts lying around and only need a barrel plus you are already set up to reload.  Even reloading is more than what I can buy x39 for although that may have changed but don't think so

Last x39 I picked up was 260 for 2,000 Golden Tiger. Runs well in the Arsenal, not sure how it'd do in an AR platform.

I entertained the idea of the 6.8, and think it has a nice niche in the AR platform. But I never progressed with that thought.

I know someone who uses his regularly for whitetail in VA in an AR platform with 115 gr. bullets. I have been on the 6.8forum and read a few exploits, and the 6.8 SPC "taking elk regularly" is at best an ambitious endeavor. No one would put the 6.8 on their list as an "elk" cartridge. The dinky .243 Win. holds more powder and has better energy numbers with comparable bullets than the 6.8 SPC, and no one other than a seasoned rifleman under certain situations would pick the .243 as an elk cartridge. The same should hold true for the 6.8 SPC. It could work, but in limited situations. Comparing the 6.8 SPC to the .270 Win. is like saying the .40 Short&Weak is like its older brother, the 10MM. Just my thoughts. Any game that can weigh 800 lbs. should demand something with some oomph.

huh?  there is a thread on elk with 6.8 with multiple hunters and kill pics.  Some of these shots are over 300 yards.  I sold one of my 6.8s to a guy in Alaska that uses it on big game up there.  There are lots of great bullet options with it but generally I'd agree, use a bigger platform for bigger game.

agree and I should have qualified on the .270 comment.  Meant in bullet diameter and bore and not performance for obvious reasons.  Still, we are talking about an AR platform with weight and size using 6.8 vs the 5.56.  The 6.8 gives you roughly 80% of the .308 in a smaller and more manageable platform

Last x39 I picked up was 260 for 2,000 Golden Tiger. Runs well in the Arsenal, not sure how it'd do in an AR platform.

bolts and mags are the issue but RRA Lar has been getting pretty good reviews.  I wouldn't get an AR in x39  unless it was the rra

Only worried about the two legged kind.