Bully

Sunday 10/6, I Want to Compete With My Revo...

...Where to go?

I have a new toy and want to stretch it's and my legs in competition. Any suggestions on where to go?

I have a gun and ammo. Not much more. I'm happy to take time penalties to start from low/ready. I can shoot, but get flustered on the clock and want to work on that as well.

Tenafly is close and easy for me but I'll take the ride to central NJ if need be.

Thanks all.

Christopher

CJRPC is always an option.  Low ready is never a problem. I just started last year shooting steel and was flustered, I slowed down and learned a lot from the experienced guys there. Always have a blast! Now that summer is over, I can make CJ in about 1hr from where I am, which is close to you. Not so much a problem in the morning but later in the day traffic is a bit more coming home. 

FWIW, I have a belt. It's made for carrying a gun. Holster is on order. Gonna be a couple of months. I have ammo and moon clips. And a de-mooner. So, for some of this stuff it's a matter of getting the loot together and simply waiting.

Also, if anyone wants to carpool down, let me know. I can kick in some gas money if need be.

C

Here's Alec's description from last month. The 6th is World Class Steel. Starts at 9am. show up around 8 or so and let them know you are new. Directions to the range can be found here  http://www.obrpc.org/

Knockdown Steel is run at OBRPC on the 2nd Saturday of every month.

It is exactly what it sounds like, Lots and Lots, ..and lots of Knockdown steel. Match typically consists of 5 stages of 30-35 Steel plates to knock down at various distances from about 10 to 18 yards.

Bring lots of ammo, I typically bring about 300 rounds just to be on the safe side. There is a 10 round limit per pistol magazine, so you'll probably need at least 5 mags to be safe and have enough for harder stages. ( shot guns have to start with 5 in the tube, after the buzzer they can load to max )

Example:

There are also a few Steel Challenge type matches run at both OBRPC and CJRPC, i'm more involved with the ones at OBRPC, they are as follows:

World Class Steel, which is run on the first sunday of every month is the official Steel Challenge stages, typically 5 or 6 stages. 

Real Deal Steel , is run on the third sunday of every month is similar to WCS, but we run whatever stages our imaginations can come up with, usually something different each month with a few repeat favorites. 

You start in a box up range, hands above shoulders , on start of buzzer you draw and engage 5 steel plates down range. One plate is marked with a Red post which indicates this is the STOP plate, once this plate is hit the run is over, you want to hit the plate LAST, or get penalties for each of the other plates you missed.

You do 5 runs , your slowest time is tossed and your best 4 are added up. Fastest time wins, this is a good introduction to competitive shooting as it's fairly relaxed, extremely competitive, tons of room for growth, and plenty of fun divisions to compete in.

No rifle / magnum rounds. Pistol Caliber rounds only, Rimfire divisions are allowed.

Centerfire Pistols start in the holster, Rimfire guns start at the low ready, no holster required. you'll need a 5 magazines to get through your stage.

Example:

Here is one of Mr. Foodeey Toodey last year, -- I promise he's gotten better since then:

CJRPC runs similar steel challenge matches every month.

Also, CJRPC typically runs a " special steel match " on 5th sundays when they pop up, they are alot of fun because they are pretty different from what we usually see, it'll be a mix of knockdown plates, bowling pins sometimes, stages with 8 or 9 plates.

I think the 5th sunday this month they are doing some sort of Man vs Man steel match.

Example of one they did last year.

any questions feel free to ask. 

I always reccomend Steel Challenge for new comers to the competiton world, It's easy to understand the rules, beginner friendly because you stay stationary while shooting ( no run and gun ) , but still is very competitive.

Though, with a 6 shot revo - you'll probably be doing some reloads, There are 5 plates you need to hit per string, so you're only afforded one miss, any more then that you either have to skip a plate and take a pentality , or reload if your intent on hitting all of them.

if you come to old bridge on the 6th I can lend you a holster to use and hook you up with some moonclips mooner / demooner for the match.

Christopher,

I'd take Alec up on his offer and come down to Old Bridge.  I'll probably be shooting Black Powder in Pit #7, so stop-in and say "Howdy" to all of us Old Fudds!

On the way in you might notice some guys on your left setting-up for Clay Birds shot outta the air (our Club's Shotgun League), as there is no less than 3 Leagues firing simultaneously on the 1st and 3rd Sundays!

From antiques to action, Old Bridge has it all, lol!

Dave

I have a gun and ammo. Not much more. I'm happy to take time penalties to start from low/ready. I can shoot, but get flustered on the clock and want to work on that as well.

Tenafly is close and easy for me but I'll take the ride to central NJ if need be.

I've been shooting steel at Tenafly the past few months.   The matches are small and very newbie-friendly, and they are willing to accommodate any equipment gaps you might have--no problem starting from low ready.

Hey Dave and Alec,

I think it's gonna have to be Tenafly this week.  I've been trying to get the brakes on my truck done for three weeks now with one stupid snafu after another but I really need to get them done.  If the day is nice, that's where I need to be, under the truck.  I'll try to make O.B. in a couple of weeks. 

Thanks all for the great suggestions.  Much appreciated.

C