Sign in to follow this  
Kimber45

Making a legal muzzle brake

OK...hello all. A friend of mine has a rifle that be wants refurbished. It has a threaded 16 barrel. He really has a liking to an early colt commando type 5 inch flash hider. The one he has is a non NJ compliant flash hider... ( not installed on the barrel ) my thing is can i weld a washer to the front of the flash hider and weld up the bottom slots so it is no longer a flash hider. But just mimmicks one. I know its a crazy request but like I said he really likes it... does anyone know of a company that makes something like this? Thanks everyone......

I'm not sure if you will make a muzzle break out of a flash surpressor doing what you said.  You may be just making a flas h surpressor without holes on the bottom.  I have seen manufacturers submit examples to ATF's Tech Branch to determine if it is truly a muzzle break and not a flash surpressor.  I think there's more to it than you are looking at. 

press in a piece of 1/2 copper tubing and paint black ,, you can also hammer it in if you dont have a press. the 2 i did where a extremely tight fit so i know they wont come out.

finish off the edge on a slight bevel with a dremel or file so it looks good 

There is no law that says the holes in the break need to be a particular shape.

You do not need to close the holes up, but you do need to add a baffle that will

cause the gas to exit out the sides (Break).

By adding the washer to the front you should be fine. Just make sure you line bore

the hole properly!

Here is an example of a Branson Style break - completely legal in NJ, and it has the same

slots as your Colt FH.

post-5124-0-49723300-1381674968_thumb.jpg

Do muzzle brakes make a ar louder ? I was at BA yesterday, and their were a couple of guys shooting ar,s,  one on each side of me . I was like WTF. 

sorry, that was me blasting away. I was there from 10:30 to 2:30 with both my ar's. the 7.62 is loud as shit lol. I have a brake on it

sorry, that was me blasting away. I was there from 10:30 to 2:30 with both my ar's. the 7.62 is loud as shit lol. I have a brake on it

It got pretty crowded.  I was saying to myself I wonder how would that sound if you fired it in your house at a intruder. :)  and would my ears start bleeding. :)

Do muzzle brakes make a ar louder ? I was at BA yesterday, and their were a couple of guys shooting ar,s,  one on each side of me . I was like WTF. 

Without doing a scientific check with  a meter - I would say they do not make it louder, but tend to

re-direct the sound more to the side than that of a standard (non-threaded, no break) barrel.

In a standard barrel - the sound waves are all directed forward, add the break and a % is directed sideways; hence

you felt it was louder standing to the side...........

It got pretty crowded.  I was saying to myself I wonder how would that sound if you fired it in your house at a intruder. :)  and would my ears start bleeding. :)

It certainly did mid-day, Thats why i sat in the car and had lunch for about a half hour... OMG im bet they would bleed, No way would that be my first choice in that situation GOD FORBID haha.

I like that muzzle brake in JT's post above, mock colt FH...pretty cool

Thanks all for replying.... JT so I would be gtg by welding a washer to the end closing it up? That would be awesome and a great cost saver. Last night I was sitting in bed looking at this flash hider and Iam looking at my build. I have a spikes dynacomp extreme mounted on it....hummm what if I took the flash hider and drilled out the opening to press fit the dynacomp I wouldn't have to open it too much. I would cut the dynacomp at the threads align the comp holes with the slits on the flash hider and weld the muzzle end....grind and refinish....pin and weld.....I would still retain the look of the commando flash hider with the added stability of the dynacomp.....doable??????

Hey Nickjc....thanks for the input. But the brake that they list is for a 11 Inch barrel so the threads are located at the rear of the brake.. I have a 16 inch barrel and the flashhider that I have is more like a barrel shroud it slides down on top of the barrel and the threads are closer to the openings in the flash hider opening. So over all the barrel with the hider is like 17 1/2 inches long.....am I exposing the right....sorry bro more of a hands on guy....lol. thanks again..