zoid

Clays Loaders: What loads are you using for 45 and 9?

Just trying to get a feel for what you guys using clays are loading for 45acp and 9mm.

Right now I am at 3.7ish gr for 115 RN 9mm copper plated Berry's bullets.  I started at

3.4 and it would not lock the slide back on the last round on a M&P9.  So I have bumped

it up to 3.7.  Going to test it tomorrow hopefully.

For 45acp Flat point lead and Copper plated I'm using around 4.4ish gr and this does

lock the slide back on my 1911 and feels moderate.  

I'm OK with the 45 load, although I don't know if it's making major power factor (more of

a steel round anyways).  

But the 9 I'm trying to get dialed in and I do want to make at least minor power factor.  

Any load data for reference?

for 45acp using winchester primers, 200gr LSWC 16lb spring;

3.6-4.0 plinking load

4.3 USPSA major  (made 173-175pf out of a STI Trojan 5 inch)

I never used it for 9mm (use n320, titegroup, and HS-6)

Is it not a good powder for 9mm?  I like to only have one powder on my bench and prefer to use it across multiple calibers if I can.

Just to keep it simple.  

Good to know I am probably making major.

I use 3.6 grains of clays, 230 grain lead bullet, @ 1.20"

3.5-4.0 grains is a good place to start for 230 grain loads

Ever chrono it?  Just wondering what PF it makes.

Hey guys is this not a powder for 9mm?  LOL.  No 9 data at all!  

And to be honest I personally did not shoot it yet.  My buddy 

and I shot a match and he was out of ammo so I gave him the

first 100 rounds I made.  Shot fine, but I noticed his slide was 

not locking back.  

I can't really ask his opinion since he's a little new to shooting.

Careful with that 9mm load. Plated bullets should be loaded with lead data. 3.4gr Clays is the max load for a 115gr lead RN bullet. I have loaded some 124's with 2.9gr Clays and they were really soft and really accurate but, I will be sticking with N320 for 9mm. There is not much room for error with Clays.

There is some data on the Hodgdon site:

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Hey guys is this not a powder for 9mm?  LOL.  No 9 data at all!  

And to be honest I personally did not shoot it yet.  My buddy 

and I shot a match and he was out of ammo so I gave him the

first 100 rounds I made.  Shot fine, but I noticed his slide was 

not locking back.  

I can't really ask his opinion since he's a little new to shooting.

IMO not a good powder for 9mm, I think you'll run into pressure issues, there are much better powders for 9mm

try N320, TiteGroup or 231

IMO not a good powder for 9mm, I think you'll run into pressure issues, there are much better powders for 9mm

try N320, TiteGroup or 231

Sounds good I will give those a shot.

I gotta ask, where did you manage to find Clays? I'm down to my last two pounds.

Also, if you have any trouble finding the other powders, I have two pounds of Titegroup that I won't be using.

I may just buy that off you.  I bought this Clays right before the scare.  And then I went into a bit

of a reloading retreat where I didn't touch my press for 8 months or so.  

On the flipside are Titegroup, 231, N320 good for 45?  

No one is going to get any Clays (of any type) until at least next spring. The Clays plant burned down and is being rebuilt. :(

No way, that sucks.  I didn't even hear of that.

I had pierced primers on my starting load with clays in 9mm. I would not recommend it at all for 9. Supposed to be great for 45 but I haven't loaded any yet. I have 1.9 jars of clays that I would trade for an equal amount of 231 or hp38. Only loaded up 100 or so 9mm with it.

I had pierced primers on my starting load with clays in 9mm. I would not recommend it at all for 9. Supposed to be great for 45 but I haven't loaded any yet. I have 1.9 jars of clays that I would trade for an equal amount of 231 or hp38. Only loaded up 100 or so 9mm with it.

What kind of bullets were you using?  I had it at the starting load and it wouldn't even lock the slide back on the last round.  

I made a mistake in my original post.  I have 124gr 9mm bullets, not 115.  

I use 115 Montana gold jhp out of a 1911. I forget the charge that I was using but I can check Sunday night. I'm out of town right now. It felt nice and light but had what I thought were a bunch of bad primers. Turns out that the piece of the primer cup that blew out got stuck in the firing pin hole.

I've been using 3

231 for years in 9 and 45 May not be the best for everything but it works and works wellPosted Image

I use 115 Montana gold jhp out of a 1911. I forget the charge that I was using but I can check Sunday night. I'm out of town right now. It felt nice and light but had what I thought were a bunch of bad primers. Turns out that the piece of the primer cup that blew out got stuck in the firing pin hole.

I've been using 3

231 for years in 9 and 45 May not be the best for everything but it works and works well8ybepy2u.jpg

Nice.  I feel I'm ready to take on new powders.  I wasn't comfortable at first.  Wanted to really get antiquated with

reloading first before messing around with different powders, loads, etc.  

And now I want a 9mm 1911.  Haha.