Sign in to follow this  
scarecrow

Recoil With Pistol Grip And Adjustable Stock

OK, hoping maybe someone has done this and can give an opinion. Would an adjustable shotgun stock with a pistol grip have less perceived recoil than just having the shoulder stock only? I’m not looking for tacticool just figure having both would be better as hand, arm and shoulder would be absorbing the recoil not just the shoulder. Attached is a pic of what I’m thinking of installing. Thanks in advance

post-5131-0-47835400-1383870554_thumb.jpg

I got the Blackhawk Knoxx Talon for my 870 and there is a huge recoil reduction. There are springs inside the stock and grip that reduce the felt recoil.

Does that help you shoot a pump shotgun faster, or is it just more comfortable? I haven't seen a lot of people using them for trap/skeet.

Edit: I actually can't remember seeing even a single person with a recoil reducing stock on a shotgun. Maybe I just didn't notice.

I have explored this subject. See the other thread "Recoil Reducing Stocks" )  Right now I have a Phoenix stock on order...looks like what you posted. THey have a patent for "Kicklite" technology.  Don't have it yet but it should be here soon. I was looking for something that would lighten it up for my wife a little, so we'll see.

Does that help you shoot a pump shotgun faster, or is it just more comfortable? I haven't seen a lot of people using them for trap/skeet.

Edit: I actually can't remember seeing even a single person with a recoil reducing stock on a shotgun. Maybe I just didn't notice.

Those of us that shoot shotgun a lot usually have something there to help. Lots of stuff out there from simple slip-on pads to $700+ recoil reduction systems. I have several types.

The pistol grip and stock should help with recoil but the more important factor is how the stock fits on the gun. I have a cheap top folder with pistol grip similar to the "spas" style on a 20g mossy 500 and when the stock is unfolded after a couple dozen rounds the stock rubs on my thumb and web causing a bleeding cut, not comfortable for extended shooting. Now on my supernova I have both the comfortech and pistol grip stocks and I prefer the pistol grip for controlibility of the gun but really don't notice a difference between the 2. The comfortech does not have the mercury installed.

This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity

Look man.. te recoils there. There's no way to get rid of it. 

You can prolong the transfer to your shoulder with a pad or spring loaded stock, or you can absorb it in the gun by adding mass to it. That's it. 

In my experience with recoil reducing stocks, the gun tends to move more in other directions. For most people recoil is mostly a limiting factor due to psychology and perception. I'd say plugs + muffs as the frist line of defense. The vast majority of people with recoil issues have them due to sound. I'll shoot hard hitting stuff, but if I RO enough loud open guns I'm not even shooting, I'll develop a flinch, especially if doing it indoors. Next up I'd go with reduced recoil loads, or just shoot light bird shot to get someones feet wet. In a pump or break open action, teh winchester AA12FL8 low recoil, low noise AA target loads are about as kind as you get. 

So I got the pistol grip, adjustable stock from Phoenix, their "Kicklite" stock. My son and I tried it and it does lessen the "perceived" recoil by absorbing some of it like a piston. It makes it easier to get multiple shots off quicker, and you can shoot more without getting banged up. Does it make the recoil go away?  No. It's still a 12 ga.