Howard

How are ads determined on this site?

Earlier today I used google to search for shot timers.  I have my computer set to not accept cookies without my permission using a program called cookiewall.  When I came here a few minutes ago the banner ad just happens to be for, you guessed it, shot timers.  So, how is this tracked?

hmm, I dont see the banners cause I am premier but that is interesting question. I always wondered why when I am on sites that wouldn't advertise gun related stuff I now see ads for these items. I gotta look into one of those programs. But then again I have bought some cool stuff from those ads that i would never know of with out them. Catch 22

ive been having the same thing happening. Im pretty sure I didn't have any banners until a couple weeks ago. Now if I go to cigar.com and come here theres a banner for it. I have banners for optics planet, precious metals, all sites or searches ive performed recently.....

ive been having the same thing happening. Im pretty sure I didn't have any banners until a couple weeks ago. Now if I go to cigar.com and come here theres a banner for it. I have banners for optics planet, precious metals, all sites or searches ive performed recently.....

We you a paying supporter of the site before? If so then you would not see the banners, if not maybe you were just used to them and not paid much attention to them till it was brought up.

We you a paying supporter of the site before? If so then you would not see the banners, if not maybe you were just used to them and not paid much attention to them till it was brought up.

i was, but haven't been in 2+ months, ads only showed up 2-3 weeks ago.

Earlier today I used google to search for shot timers.  I have my computer set to not accept cookies without my permission using a program called cookiewall.  When I came here a few minutes ago the banner ad just happens to be for, you guessed it, shot timers.  So, how is this tracked?

Do you have cookies enabled for google.com in your filter? That's all they need to track you across sites that contain google ads or other items such as the +1 buttons. They could identify you relatively reliably based on other data that is available to them from your requests, but I don't think they are doing that for ad delivery.

Do you have cookies enabled for google.com in your filter? That's all they need to track you across sites that contain google ads or other items such as the +1 buttons. They could identify you relatively reliably based on other data that is available to them from your requests, but I don't think they are doing that for ad delivery.

No, googleadservices.com is explicitly set to auto delete.

No, googleadservices.com is explicitly set to auto delete.

You can verify that it is using cookies by opening this site in a private window. You should not be seeing personalized ads in the private window if they track you based on cookies alone.

You could also disable cookies for  googlesyndication.com, google-analytics.com, and google.com.