Purple Patrick

My first handgun! S&W 686+ content

I can show you a video about a "problem" with EVERY GUN made!

That is undoubtedly true, and I'm mostly just playing devils advocate here, but the fact is that I have absolutely no need for an internal lock on a firearm, so why add something that could potentially cause an issue when it's not needed?

FWIW, I searched the forum for past discussions on this topic and found a thread from just a few months ago where a member (lunker) states that his 629 completely locked up on him the first time he took it to the range and it required a gunsmith to fix it.  He took the gun to Shore Shot, they fixed it and mentioned to him that they've seen the issue before.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/57854-internal-locks-on-sw-revolvers/

Whenever this topic comes up people are quick to point out how RARE this problem is, and they're probably right.  However, the fact is that nobody really knows how rare or not-rare this is, not even Smith and Wesson, since many people will do exactly what lunker did...take it to their local gunsmith.

Just got back from the range and my gun actually did lock up. It wasn't from the lock tho it was from a ruptured primer that pushed itself against the frame and wouldn't come free. Some rough hands got it apart

This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity

so much for the reliability of the wheel gun right?

when i took my UT CCW course, someone with a revolver there had a malfunction. somehow the rim of one of the cases ended up under the ejector. it basically make the gun into a less than useful hammer.

so much for the reliability of the wheel gun right?

That wasn't a firearm malfunction, it was an ammunition malfunction.

Any other pressure signs? Primer flow/flattening? Sticky extraction? Were you shooting factory ammo, commercially reloaded stuff or handloads you or a friend concocted?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

That wasn't a firearm malfunction, it was an ammunition malfunction.

Any other pressure signs? Primer flow/flattening? Sticky extraction? Were you shooting factory ammo, commercially reloaded stuff or handloads you or a friend concocted?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

It was with factory Speer lawman 125gr 38's. Every other ammo I tried which included armscor 38, AE 38, gold sabre +p 38, lax factory new 357, critical duty ftx 357, and a buddy's FBI 38 hand loads functioned and extracted perfectly. Bulk of shooting wa with the lax anmo which shot just fine

This was my best group at 7 yards shooting single action with the lax ammo.

Posted Image

I definitely need more trigger time especially in DA. I could notice a pull to the left expecting the recoil on the long pull. Guess it's time for some classes :)

At which point my lawyer would cue the countless youtube videos of the lock randomly engaging during use rending the firearm useless.

I'd rather have to have that argument, then have my firearm jam up when I need it most.

Smartass idiot

To comment on issues ppl have with the ILS, I'd like to share my experiences.  Between my fiancé and I, there have prob been 6-700 rds fired thru here 686+ Pro Series.  Every one in a while I dry fire it, with snap caps to try to get more comfortable with a revolver grip.  Anyway, 3 times so far the little safety flag has popped up when slowly pulling the trigger back in DA, forcing the hammer to lock in its position.  To be honest I forget how exactly I got it unlocked, but I remember it taking a few minutes each time.  Am I doing something wrong?  Or should we send it to S&W?  Otherwise the thing is a work of art, and the trigger is incredible.  After those experiences, I would feel more confident with several other firearms that have had no malfunctions, be it dry fired, or in actual live use.

To comment on issues ppl have with the ILS, I'd like to share my experiences. Between my fiancé and I, there have prob been 6-700 rds fired thru here 686+ Pro Series. Every one in a while I dry fire it, with snap caps to try to get more comfortable with a revolver grip. Anyway, 3 times so far the little safety flag has popped up when slowly pulling the trigger back in DA, forcing the hammer to lock in its position. To be honest I forget how exactly I got it unlocked, but I remember it taking a few minutes each time. Am I doing something wrong? Or should we send it to S&W? Otherwise the thing is a work of art, and the trigger is incredible. After those experiences, I would feel more confident with several other firearms that have had no malfunctions, be it dry fired, or in actual live use.

seeing as I have about 500 rounds thru mine so far and have had zero problems except an ammo malfunction then yes I would say send it to have them look at it

To comment on issues ppl have with the ILS, I'd like to share my experiences.  Between my fiancé and I, there have prob been 6-700 rds fired thru here 686+ Pro Series.  Every one in a while I dry fire it, with snap caps to try to get more comfortable with a revolver grip.  Anyway, 3 times so far the little safety flag has popped up when slowly pulling the trigger back in DA, forcing the hammer to lock in its position.  To be honest I forget how exactly I got it unlocked, but I remember it taking a few minutes each time.  Am I doing something wrong?  Or should we send it to S&W?  Otherwise the thing is a work of art, and the trigger is incredible.  After those experiences, I would feel more confident with several other firearms that have had no malfunctions, be it dry fired, or in actual live use.

I'd go ahead and just remove the flag entirely, eliminate all possibility of it happening again.

I'd go ahead and just remove the flag entirely, eliminate all possibility of it happening again.

So I guess it's my turn to chime in and say: Take the flag out. File off the little "D" shaped lug. Reinstall the flag. Externally no one can tell the IL is non-functional. There is no gap beside the hammer for safarcus and toe-jam to get into and gum-up the works, and you never have to worry about a malfunction again.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

So I guess it's my turn to chime in and say: Take the flag out. File off the little "D" shaped lug. Reinstall the flag. Externally no one can tell the IL is non-functional. There is no gap beside the hammer for safarcus and toe-jam to get into and gum-up the works, and you never have to worry about a malfunction again.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I had a feeling that was coming next.

Personally, the little tiny gap on the side of the hammer doesn't bother me, but if aesthetics are that important to you, follow bobs method. 

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks Pizza Bob.  As this is my fiancé's range toy, we'll probably leave it alone to keep the S&W warranty.  I have full faith in other guns that we both shoot better more consistently for a defense situation.  On a side note, how did u pick the name?

Thanks Pizza Bob. ... On a side note, how did u pick the name?

I used to shoot more than guns. I was christened thus by a 14.1 (straight pool) nemesis. Haven't picked-up a cue in a couple years, since my regular weekly game moved to Manhattan.