Dan

Camping in PA - suggestions?

Me and some friends are looking to do some camping in free America for a weekend. Does anyone have suggestions on some good places in the eastern parts of PA?

Looking for something off the beaten path away from others, so a commercial "camp ground" is not what we're looking for. A little bit of a hike isn't a problem, but generally looking for a drive-in/out location. Bonus points if its in an area secluded, safe, and legal for some camping target practice. :)

If anyone has good ideas I'd appreciate it. If its nothing you would like to share to the public, please feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

+1 for Allegheny National Forest they allow "Primitive camping" is allowed. That is real camping where you hike out into the woods and pick your own spot. Draw backs are you have to move your camp every day without a permit and no bath rooms. Also its a bit of a drive from NJ but well worth it in my opinion.

For anyone else interested, I did find some information. The only public areas that I could find where you can camp and target shoot would be a National Forest. Allegheny is the closest one to NJ, besides one in NY that may be a little closer (but I'm not taking any kind of gun into NY). State Forests and National Parks in PA, you can carry a gun for self defense, but alas, target shooting permitted. The only times you can shoot are in designated hunting areas while in the act of legal hunting (permits, season, etc).

The only other option would be private property.

I was down in the Shenandoah Valley area this past summer, Skyline Drive, etc. I passed a couple of camping places that had shooting ranges. I didn't investigate but I'm almost positive they were in National Parks. I don't recall the exact location so I can't say how the travel time compares to Western PA.

I believe some National Parks have designated target shooting ranges. Same for State parks and forests, but it is on an individual basis. I'm going to give the PA State Forest/Park people a call and ask. In their rules it says its up to the area manager or something to that effect..

Mipa, PA does have such a thing : http://fishandboat.com/water/public/rec_use_land_water_act.htm

There are some stipulations to be aware of regarding definitions. http://indianlakepa.us/dotnetnuke/Portals/0/Misc/DCNR%20RULWA%20Act%20586%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf

Basically if it is a large , undeveloped area, it should be covered. Once there are things like buildings, developed areas... like parking lots, facilities, etc... then not so much. I believe this is to prevent commercial or semi-commercial operations from claiming immunity for the purposes of saving money by not buying liability insurance.

Unfortunately I think it would be a fine line Mipa... unless you were to tell the people recreating on the property that they could only use a certian area of the property that does not include developments, and have them sign something acknowledging restrictions and waiving liability for good measure CYA.

Stuff like trails and whatnot are covered. Its when you get into specific things like a bathroom building, or picnic area with an awning and grills, "designated and developed shooting site". etc. If the person was offered those to utilize, since they are developed, a person would have a reasonable assumption that they are safe... opening you up to negligence and liability.

A dirt mound in the middle of the woods... if were so decided that was a good backstop by the recreation people would not constitute a "developed" shooting area, IMO of course.

NickT that sounds great. One of these day's I'd like to have a getaway of my own. Good luck with that.

mipa, not sure where you are coming from, going to, or anything about the road between on the vasaline/butt comment..... and don't want to know