SW99

The traveling to Florida question...

Hey all!

I’m sure this question has been beaten to death but just want to make extra special certain I got it all down correctly.

I will be traveling by car from NJ to Florida. I have my FL CCW, which I just got a couple of months ago and have not been out of state since (I go to FL at least once a year and NC at least 2-3 times a year) just haven't been since I've gotten my CCW. 

I have all the printouts from the FL state website outlining the CCW Out-Of-State Reciprocity laws, just want to make sure I will not be doing anything wrong.

On my route it seems only MD and SC do not honor the CCW, other than that I can holster in all the other states. I will make it a point if we stop, to not stop in SC overnight but in NC instead.

Should I just keep my pistol locked up in the box and trunk the entire trip or can I stop in VA to holster until I hit SC then un-holster until I get to GA where I can holster the rest of the way?

Just trying to get an idea of what’s best to do as this is my first time and I know a lot of you are veterans at this. 

Thanks so much!

Vito.

You'd have to look at each state specifically but as long as you have a valid recognized CCW in said state, I would carry when I could.  Including the drive through each.

Again, each state has their own particular rules, including a duty to inform officers when stopped.  You would do well to study each.

In SC you can't carry, but you can have the loaded firearm in the glovebox or center console box.

When I drove down a few years ago, I removed it from my hip and put it in the center console.

Not that I don't believe you, but do you mind posting the statute allowing this just to verify for everyone?

In SC you can't carry, but you can have the loaded firearm in the glovebox or center console box.

When I drove down a few years ago, I removed it from my hip and put it in the center console.

Same in FL without ccw. That's what I did before I had my ccw when I 1st moved down. Doesn't need to be locked either. Just holster n glovebox

Thanks for all the info everyone! I just need to confirm the SC thing, cause if thats the case then I can just remove the holster from my belt when entering SC and put it in the glove (which i will lock) and then take it out again in GA. 

Thanks for the APP Checko!

I drive to Florida a couple of times a year, I do not have a CCW, nor do I bring a pistol down there or back, but if I did I would just leave it in the trunk for the trip instead of stopping at state lines to holster up. One less hassle. Maybe take it out in N.C. when I stop for the night.

I just got back from driving down to FL last Sunday and did the exact same thing. Once in VA. stopped at a rest stop and started CCW. When going to SC. simply put firearm in Glove Box. Even stayed over night in SC going down. You can carry loaded handgun from car to hotel room and back to Car but no other times without CCW permit. When coming back we stayed in NC so there was no issue. Hit last rest stop in VA and unloaded firearm and secured back in trunk.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry.pdf

This will give you where you can RV / Car carry.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Also another good site.

Karateman, 

I took all the state laws, put them in my dropbox and highlighted all the relevant text for each state. I stopped in GA on the way down, when I woke up I holstered for the rest of the trip. On the way back I secured it while driving through SC via bore lock but stopped at my cousins in NC for the night and just secured it back up for the rest of the trip home.  

He's right about SC regarding the legality of the console/glove box.  I'd recommend still printing out the state law from SC's webpage.  I would also recommend getting the reciprocity agreements from EACH state's Attorney General website.  Getting a printout from Florida saying that VA is reciprocal won't mean anything to a VA cop.  Print it off VA's site, and do the same for NC and GA. 

He's right about SC regarding the legality of the console/glove box.  I'd recommend still printing out the state law from SC's webpage.  I would also recommend getting the reciprocity agreements from EACH state's Attorney General website.  Getting a printout from Florida saying that VA is reciprocal won't mean anything to a VA cop.  Print it off VA's site, and do the same for NC and GA. 

Thats what I did, I took the pages from the individual states and saved them to my drop box (also had hard copies). Jersey makes you nuts with their communist gun laws so its just all felt weird for the first time. Its hard to wrap your head around some of the laws in other states and how great they are. lol

Thats what I did, I took the pages from the individual states and saved them to my drop box (also had hard copies). Jersey makes you nuts with their communist gun laws so its just all felt weird for the first time. Its hard to wrap your head around some of the laws in other states and how great they are. lol

Just curious - have you considered taking the Auto Train instead of driving all the way?

I take it twice a year. You can pack what you wish in your car. As long as the dog doesn't alert on it (i.e. nitrates), you should be GTG. Admittedly, the rules aren't clear about whether the contents of your car are considered "checked baggage" and subject to those rules (i.e. restrictions on requirements to declare firearms), but it might solve the problem of worrying about the different state laws in between. Just leave the weapons in the lock box in your car. No one can access the car after it's loaded onto the carriers.

Yes, it is Lorton, Va. But it's only 15 min. away from DC.  I-95 to Exit 163. 

Yeah, for me its like a 3 1/2 hour drive to there then it leaves me in Tampa if I am not mistaken and I still have about a 3 hour drive south. It just doesn't make sense for my situation, especially from a cost perspective. 

Yeah, for me its like a 3 1/2 hour drive to there then it leaves me in Tampa if I am not mistaken and I still have about a 3 hour drive south. It just doesn't make sense for my situation, especially from a cost perspective. 

It actually leaves you in "Sanford" Fl. Which is about 20 min. NE of Orlando. Tampa would be a good 2hrs away on I-4.

Remember the Auto Train's 2nd largest constituency - Families visiting "The rodent." :D

While it also takes me roughly 3.5-4hrs to get to DC, what I save (and what I base this on) is the cost of driving the "remainder" of the distance between Lorton and Sanford. If you buy a "coach" seat, it's almost competitive cost with driving the same distance, given you stop overnight at some hotel in NC. If you want a private room or roomette, yeah, that's extra. But consider the benefits. You don't worry about driving, the addl.mileage (and wear and tear) on your car,  you don't worry about the different "speed traps" along the way. You get to relax in comfort, and your meals (Dinner & Continental Breakfast) are free. Depending on how well you sleep (in general), you wake up relaxed and ready to go. In my case, only 2.5 hours away to the Gainesville area. Now, admittedly, for me it is backtracking a bit, but not so much. Depending on your final dest. in FL, even if it's a slight "non-direct" route, I'd think it well worth the slight deviation. 

But, YMMV  :D

It actually leaves you in "Sanford" Fl. Which is about 20 min. NE of Orlando. Tampa would be a good 2hrs away on I-4.

Remember the Auto Train's 2nd largest constituency - Families visiting "The rodent." :D

While it also takes me roughly 3.5-4hrs to get to DC, what I save (and what I base this on) is the cost of driving the "remainder" of the distance between Lorton and Sanford. If you buy a "coach" seat, it's almost competitive cost with driving the same distance, given you stop overnight at some hotel in NC. If you want a private room or roomette, yeah, that's extra. But consider the benefits. You don't worry about driving, the addl.mileage (and wear and tear) on your car,  you don't worry about the different "speed traps" along the way. You get to relax in comfort, and your meals (Dinner & Continental Breakfast) are free. Depending on how well you sleep (in general), you wake up relaxed and ready to go. In my case, only 2.5 hours away to the Gainesville area. Now, admittedly, for me it is backtracking a bit, but not so much. Depending on your final dest. in FL, even if it's a slight "non-direct" route, I'd think it well worth the slight deviation. 

But, YMMV  :D

Thats right Sanford.. I grew up in Lake Mary so familiar with the area, Im still 3+ hours southwest in Naples/Estero. I drove pretty much straight through on the way down (aside from a 4 hour stop in GA). On the way home we stopped in to see my cousin in Wake Forest, NC and spent the night there. I see your point with the train, I even looked into it before we went down, but decided against it. Maybe next time we drive I will explore it again.

SW99.  

My parents took the auto-train for the first time this year and loved it. They live in MD (3hrs from Lorton) and winter in Kissimee...got coach tickets but wish they had gotten a sleeper. Other than that, the cost was about the same, time about the same but they weren't tired when they got there and their truck had 1000 or so fewer miles than it would have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My parents took the auto-train for the first time this year and loved it. They live in MD (3hrs from Lorton) and winter in Kissimee...got coach tickets but wish they had gotten a sleeper. Other than that, the cost was about the same, time about the same but they weren't tired when they got there and their truck had 1000 or so fewer miles than it would have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Precisley. As long as it's reasonably "along your route of travel," it's worth it.