Howard

Registration open USPSA Dec7 at Shongum

Looks like my buddy is not going to shoot so i dont need any 1911 mags, My nephew will be shooting though. Another noob like me. He's shooting a Sig 229 extreme 9mm. I signed him up and put him in squad 3 with me Robert H (me) and Richard I .

Possible rifle match after? What type of rifle? AR ,pistol caliber carbine? optics ? If someone has info i may bring a rifle with me to shoot that match too.

Thanks

You can use AR or pistol caliber carbine.  You can even use a .22lr rifle.  The farthest out I've seen is 60 yards so optics may not be required depending on what you are comfortable with.  Just make sure you have enough mags to hold at least 30 rounds.

It's more fun than anything and probably the thing I look forward to the most as you do not get this opportunity everywhere.

Now that was fun!! I did pretty good for the first time. Except when i didnt listen (or heard incorrectly)and blew the classifier :-(

The rifle match was fun too but damn it got cold fast ! Someone said its addictive. Yep i'm hooked

Now that was fun!! I did pretty good for the first time. Except when i didnt listen (or heard incorrectly)and blew the classifier :-(

The rifle match was fun too but damn it got cold fast ! Someone said its addictive. Yep i'm hooked

You did great for your first time at this!  Glad you had fun.

The good news: That was the best match I shot this month.

The bad news: That was the worst match I shot this month, or ever.

I must be slow today (well the match proved that) but I guess you are saying it was the only match you shot this month.

It was the first one that I ever shot with a fixed time stage.  That was interesting.  Did not think I could do it in the time allowed, but I did!

i had no problem with the fixed stage 4,5 seconds is a lot of time . That damn classifier just chaps my ass!

Sorry, that was my fault - I should not have mentioned it was a classifier.  I thought I would have trouble on the 4.5 second stage but was very pleased to have beat the clock on it.  For those not there it was the first time I have seen a stage like this.  You started facing away from the course of fire which six targets.  After you made ready the RO had a person go down range and place Santa Hats on two targets, they became no shoots.  At the buzzer you had 4.5 seconds to turn, draw, identify which four targets to shoot at and put two rounds on each of those four.

I must be slow today (well the match proved that) but I guess you are saying it was the only match you shot this month.

It was the first one that I ever shot with a fixed time stage.  That was interesting.  Did not think I could do it in the time allowed, but I did!

The only match I've shot in five months actually. Don't feel bad about going slow, I wish I'd slowed down. Kept rushing my first several shots. Need to work on acquiring the sights and target after drawing, too.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast... not yesterday for me. Fast is rough, rough is... well, sucky.   :hunter:

yeah that was a good lesson for me. I now know what i have to do. One thing would be listen closer to the course of fire instructions :-).

All in all i shot well. I'm ready for another match, One in Fla would be nice , that sounds like a good reason to go to Fla .

The santa hats on stage 1 was not the classifier. Stage 2 was the classifier.

Scores are up on practicescore.

Thanks for the clarification.  I think we were talking about the fixed time as stage one and the classifier as stage two, but your pointing it out will help others that might have been confused.

I guess the good shooters must have stayed away, as I finished 3rd in production and did not feel I shot that well at all.  I screwed up stage three trying to be fast.  Rather than aim at the close one I was point shooting and had two Mikes on one target (-20 in penalties!) yet on the far target I put two shots into a group the size of a nickel.  It just proves that slow and smooth is faster than rushing beyond your comfort level.  What I really enjoy about these matches is that people are always trying to be helpful and you can pick up tips from what others observe be they Grand Masters or "D" shooters.  One person pointed out to me something I sort of knew but now it is really reinforced.  I know you need to slow down some for steel, but I have fallen into a trap that I wait for the steel to drop before taking the next shot - I need to just shoot and assume they will drop and take corrective action if warranted later rather than wait a second or two after each shot to observe results.

Thanks for the clarification.  I think we were talking about the fixed time as stage one and the classifier as stage two, but your pointing it out will help others that might have been confused.

I guess the good shooters must have stayed away, as I finished 3rd in production and did not feel I shot that well at all.  I screwed up stage three trying to be fast.  Rather than aim at the close one I was point shooting and had two Mikes on one target (-20 in penalties!) yet on the far target I put two shots into a group the size of a nickel.  It just proves that slow and smooth is faster than rushing beyond your comfort level.  What I really enjoy about these matches is that people are always trying to be helpful and you can pick up tips from what others observe be they Grand Masters or "D" shooters.  One person pointed out to me something I sort of knew but now it is really reinforced.  I know you need to slow down some for steel, but I have fallen into a trap that I wait for the steel to drop before taking the next shot - I need to just shoot and assume they will drop and take corrective action if warranted later rather than wait a second or two after each shot to observe results.

"I guess the good shooters must have stayed away" Ouch!