jm1827

Range 14 this weekend?

Has anyone gone to Range 14 the weekend before deer season (which I believe starts next week)?

I plan on going this Sunday and wanted to know if it typically gets crazy crowded and if so is there any time better than another to go?

Thanks!

I have not been there in a few years.  Having said that, the last time I was there rite before shotgun/muzzleloader season it was absolutely nuts. I waited for a couple of hours then gave up and went to my brother inlaws farm.

Ken

Thanks for the input, got to say I am torn.  I haven't been able to make it to the range in a couple of months and this Sunday is the only day I will be around for a while so I don't want to miss an opportunity to get some shooting in.

But I would hate to drive all the way out there and then have a 2 or 3 hour wait to shoot.

Again, thanks for the input.

Well if the last time Ken was there was a few years ago, they have since probably doubled the amount of tables so I doubt the wait would be as long...

Thats exactly why I left.  When they where expanding they had such a cluster down there you could not shoot at all most of the time. 

Thanks for the input, got to say I am torn.  I haven't been able to make it to the range in a couple of months and this Sunday is the only day I will be around for a while so I don't want to miss an opportunity to get some shooting in.

But I would hate to drive all the way out there and then have a 2 or 3 hour wait to shoot.

Again, thanks for the input.

If you go, post here about it.  If Im wrong at least someone in the future will find a source of decent info!

Good Luck

Ken

If you really want to get a lane without waiting a long time get there early, at least 30 minutes early to get in line.  there will be a line.  If that's not an option, call ahead and ask what the average wait time is.  We look forward to reading your range report.

Its just like any other day or temp.  dress a little warmer and find a nice pair of thin gloves.  The FG gloves that home depot sells work pretty good.  You can (with a little practice) load a mag and work most guns with them on.

Enjoy

Ken

Hi everyone,

Quick range report.  I actually went to the range yesterday afternoon and again this morning.  Both days were great, no wait at all and plenty of open tables.  Today there were probably only 3 or 4 tables being used at any one time.  Shot rifles, pistols and tried a muzzle loader for the first time.  Then went on to shoot trap for a few more hours, in what felt like a blizzard. 

Took my brother in law shooting for the first time (first time for fun, he is a former marine and a police officer but doesn't get to shoot like this).   He ended up joining and will be applying for his FID because he wants to get more involved in shooting and hunting.

Overall great time and not too crowded and the temp was not an issue at all.

The only issue we had all day was when some guy walked out on a hot range to check his targets (I kid you not).  He was fortunate that the RO shut the range down immediately.  You can't make this stuff up!

Hi everyone,

Quick range report.  I actually went to the range yesterday afternoon and again this morning.  Both days were great, no wait at all and plenty of open tables.  Today there were probably only 3 or 4 tables being used at any one time.  Shot rifles, pistols and tried a muzzle loader for the first time.  Then went on to shoot trap for a few more hours, in what felt like a blizzard. 

Took my brother in law shooting for the first time (first time for fun, he is a former marine and a police officer but doesn't get to shoot like this).   He ended up joining and will be applying for his FID because he wants to get more involved in shooting and hunting.

Overall great time and not too crowded and the temp was not an issue at all.

The only issue we had all day was when some guy walked out on a hot range to check his targets (I kid you not).  He was fortunate that the RO shut the range down immediately.  You can't make this stuff up!

I believe it.  I have seen it twice there.  The RO really freaked out and I dont blame him one bit.  Both times the offender was ordered to leave and never return.

Ken

They didn't make the guy leave this time, but they did sit him down and give him a good talking to.  As we were getting ready to go from the range to the trap station we saw the same guy getting yelled at again by one of the other range officers.

Oh, and because it was such a slow day one of the ROs decided he would hang out by us and share about how he writes stories about people in another dimension who are fighting the forces of evil, and since we had an inline muzzle loader with a scope it gave him an idea for his book...can't make this up either!

I am thinking about heading there on Friday to join, anything I need to know before joining ?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

I don't think they're open on Fridays in the winter.

I made it up there this afternoon. It was pretty busy and I had to wait 30 min for a range. Not bad. Once there I put a few hundred rounds through my recently completed build. Found out I need a Troy front site adjustment tool. Other then that had a good afternoon and had a lot of fun shooting the rifle I put together.

I am thinking about heading there on Friday to join, anything I need to know before joining ?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

The most important thing to know is this..

DONT SPEED!  Cookstown has a nice little money making speed trap near there.

Ken

Tried to get up to range 14 today with some friends who hadn't shot before. After the 45 minute drive to get up there we found out they had to close at noon because they had no heat. While understandable given the temps it was really frustrating.

Ended up circling back to delran and shot there.

Quoting myself to add: I bring it up to say folks may want to call ahead for the near future in case their heat problems linger. Save someone a wasted trip.

Thanks for the heads up, and I understand that the comfort of the employees is important, but the last time I was there I don't recall the range being heated.

Thanks for the heads up, and I understand that the comfort of the employees is important, but the last time I was there I don't recall the range being heated.

I'm sure the office/club house are.. As is the range tower I'm guessing.

When we pulled in they mentioned they hadn't had heat since Tuesday and the closing was on the orders of the base commander.

My advice: call first.