Sign in to follow this  
illy

Ruger GP100 Competition Model

Agreed on the grips and the sights.

I've always liked the half-lug on the 4" geeps and the slab side bbl works for me here,

Word is that the trigger/hammer are polished & shimmed from the factory.

I'd have to shoot one to know if it's worth the extra $ over the standard 4" (probably isn't).

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

Ruger GP100 Competition vs. S&W 686 SSR

Stippled wood grips: Ruger - Yes / S&W - Yes

Half-lug barrel: Ruger - Yes / S&W - Yes

Slab-sided 4" barrel (nominal): Ruger - Yes / S&W - Yes

Adjustable rear sight: Ruger - No / S&W - Yes

FO front sight: Ruger - Yes / S&W - No. Red insert. Customer interchangeable blade

SS: Ruger - Yes / S&W - Yes

Six Shot Cylinder: Ruger - Yes / S&W - Yes

Looks like Ruger perceives the SSR to be a winner and decided they needed to get on the bandwagon.

Adios,

Pizza Bob<---S&W Fanboy

I think it's good looking.  Only thing that bothers me with Ruger is they look like their triggers are a hair too short.  Looks like too much gap between the bottom and the trigger guard.  Regardless, S&W look much better to me.

Wanted a 686, ended up with a GP100 and like it very much (I'm just a recreational shooter). I hope no one takes offense, as everyone's likes and dislikes are unique....but who in their right mind would want the Ruger comp (I understand the hammer and trigger are polished and shimmed) over the 686 SSR at that price point?

Carry on,

Ben

Alpo,

Ditto for me on the accuracy issue, and I think you forgot to mention hideous. Internal lock, transfer bar...six of one, half a dozen of the other. I haven't held the GP100 comp but I did fondle the 686 SSR, IMO very nice piece! But still, 900 bucks?

Cons for the SSR: Hideous, internal lock, side plate.

And hideous

??????????

The lock on the S&W, while universally disliked, is really a non-issue. It is easily removed, if you are so inclined. I don't understand the side plate comment. I believe this is supposed to imply an integral weakness in the design. I've seen many a Smith blown up by an over zealous hand loader, but of those, I have never seen a failure at the side plate - top strap, cylinder, yes. I've seen Rugers fail in the same manner, but the side plate, again, is non-issue. If you don't like S&W, just say so - everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Despite Ruger's moniker for their latest model, I doubt that you will see an increase in their use in real competition.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob,

I've heard the weakness argument, but never believed it. The reason I mentioned the side plate is that the design is more complicated than Ruger's.

That said, I've taken the plate off my Model 10 and got intimate with the guts.

But doing the same on my Rugers has always been much easier and less fraught with fear of flying springs and scratched finishes.

So it's not a "I don't trust Smiths" issue, it's a "I take my guns apart and there's a lot more to do on a Smith" issue.

Ditto for the lock removal.

Nevertheless, by the biggest con for me is the look of the SSR. If it looked more like a traditional 686, I'd take it over the geep.

And I DO like Smiths. In fact, one of my next 3 permits is earmarked for a 625 JM, and if could only have one revolver, it would be the TRR8.

Bob,

I've heard the weakness argument, but never believed it. The reason I mentioned the side plate is that the design is more complicated than Ruger's.

That said, I've taken the plate off my Model 10 and got intimate with the guts.

But doing the same on my Rugers has always been much easier and less fraught with fear of flying springs and scratched finishes.

So it's not a "I don't trust Smiths" issue, it's a "I take my guns apart and there's a lot more to do on a Smith" issue.

Ditto for the lock removal.

Nevertheless, by the biggest con for me is the look of the SSR. If it looked more like a traditional 686, I'd take it over the geep.

And I DO like Smiths. In fact, one of my next 3 permits is earmarked for a 625 JM, and if could only have one revolver, it would be the TRR8.

I'd disagree , personally - I feel smiths design is more simplistic and easier to work on and function test over the ruger... The side plate coming off allows a large area to work in versus the rugers drop out trigger assembly that I felt was a nightmare to take apart.

I'd disagree , personally - I feel smiths design is more simplistic and easier to work on and function test over the ruger... The side plate coming off allows a large area to work in versus the rugers drop out trigger assembly that I felt was a nightmare to take apart.

I concur.

Here are some more details on this model:

F E A T U R E S :

-The half-lug, slab-sided 4.2" barrel delivers lively handling
for quick transition between targets.

-The barrel also features an 11° target crown for
competitive-level accuracy.

-Match-tuned action with polished and optimized internals,
a centering boss on the trigger, and centering shims on the
hammer produce a smooth double-action trigger pull
and a crisp and consistent let-off.

-A fixed Novak ® Lo-Mount Carry rear sight and fiber optic front
sight allows for a fast and visible sight picture.

-A custom Hogue® hardwood grip with stippled sides permits
an ideal grip for competition shooting. (Patented grip frame
design easily accommodates a wide variety of custom grips.)

-The ejector and chamber mouths have a light chamfer to aid
loading, while a contoured cylinder enables easy re-holstering.

-Triple-locking cylinder is locked into the frame at the front,
rear and bottom for more positive alignment and dependable
operation shot after shot.
http://ruger-hosted.s3.amazonaws.com/email/1754-SellSheet-0e3dad1d793928a.pdf

Nice, but still pretty sure I won't be buying one.

However, rumor has it that there's a 3" carry version w/ all the same features coming up.

Really doesn't look that appetizing to me... I mean besides the half lug barrel, what's different? 

Fixed rear sights on a " competition " gun? Really? Come on now...

Agreed on the grips and the sights.

Well, it turns out the rear sight is adjustable for windage and it comes with two different height front sights.  

you forgot to mention the rock hard 17 lb ruger trigger pull though bob. 

A common complaint about Rugers, and while none of mine are that stiff, I haven't shot one out of the box that was better than most Smiths. 
However, Jeff claims the D/A trigger pull (6.5lb) on the new GP "feels as good as we used to get on some custom Smith & Wessons many years ago when you could send the gun off and get it worked on." @5:00 min

I don't understand the side plate comment. I believe this is supposed to imply an integral weakness in the design. 

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

As I mentioned in my original reply, I never bought that either. Jeff seems to though.

He states "Of course there's no side plate on a Ruger, so it's got a good strong frame. It's not gonna shoot out of time like some guns do. You can run all the .357 magnum ammo out of this thing you want to with any problems." @3:50

And after comparing the trigger to S&W's, he goes on: "But, it's got the durability, the reliability and the long life of a Ruger." @5:33