Sign in to follow this  
302w

LDS canning

I understand that it is a LDS policy to have three months of provisions on hand, and the church sells food for this purpose. I know people like to shop there for prep type of foods and such.

I'm curious though, what is the point? I assume that canned food is canned food. What are the benefits compared to a Supermarket?

I really need to can at home. I like to grow various foods in the summer and I would love to store them better. I also like Mason jars.

They can dry goods for long term storage mostly.  1 gallon cans similar to paint cans with press on lids are available through the church - canning equipment is also available for use at the church.   They do offer guides to can fruits and vegetables but most of the long term storage is rice, cereal, dry corn, flour, and other similar items.    Typically fill the can, throw in a desiccant pack and O2 absorber and press on the lid.  The benefits are that it's cheaper to can yourself - especially of the church buys 50,000 cans at a time instead of us ordering a dozen.

A Mormon friend I used to work with showed me her pantry.   It was a well stocked mini-convenience store.  Followed FIFO procedures, everything dated and labeled.  I thought a  "good" Mormon had a year's supply of food on hand but maybe it was only 3 months.

They are ready for the end times.